Number 8 elastic

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
Just bought number 8 elastic for the pole, I also have a 14 and 20 elastic for the pole, I would like to know which is the best one to use??????

If I use the number 8, is the catch ratio better than say if I used the 14????

Anyone with any advise or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
all depends on what your`e fishing for and where etc....
use the 20 elastic for fishing for carp down the edge near reeds and snags,its a hook them,bully them and land them quick elastic.also good in open water to stop the big ones as well.
use the14 elastic for commercial carp type venues and with balanced main line and hooklentgh etc...you will be able land the bohemoths as well as the pasties.
i would use the number 8 elastic for fishing a river or somewhere like my local boating lake where i would be expecting the usual roach,crucians and tench.
one thing i would reccomend you buy is adjustable bungs that allow you to change the elastics tension if need be during a session.

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
nice one malc,tryed the rod but still no joy in catching my first double,some tips please

M

Mr. Potato Head

Throw the 20s in the bin. Bullying tactics with poles is not nice to carp, IMO.

14s is the strongest you should need, but if you're after catching double figure carp then I agree with Malc - get a rod.

It is "horses for courses" but use a bit of sense. Don't believe all the claptrap you read in magazines about catching doubles regularly on heavy elastics.

Read this

tony70

Reaction score
i have a pole i use 12 or 14 elastic for carp i find 12 is strong enough as long as it is tensioned i landed a 18lb on it use 8 on snall fish

G

Ged

I've come across anglers who have had top section of pole snap because they used too strong an elastic.
If you feel that you have to fish with more than 14's elastic, use a rod.