chub methods

catman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of fishing a section of the great ouse for chub in the Milton Keynes area (Emberton Park) and I want to know what methods and baits to try and how to go about it. I need as much detail as possible please.

tony70

Reaction score
i have fished for chub on the ribble with halibut boilies and pellets tangy squid,monster mussel bollies even paste on running rigs with watch leads on with pva bags

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

Catman you ask a lot of questions,is that because you've not much experience about what you're asking?

Can I suggest that by searching this site many of the questions your asking will be found on it.

Disco stu

Reaction score
hell of a lot of questions catman, are you collecting info for a book?

catman

Reaction score
just thought i could get more precise answers this way.

E

EC

5 or 6lB line straight through, size 8-12 hook, 2 swan link ledger, bread crust or flake on the hook.

S

Stuart Harvey

i say keep asking the questions. thats what the forum is for i thought.

i also say the emberton park stretch is not most prolific for chub. if you are new to chub fishing i would suggest fishing the river ouzel where they are ten a penny. if you are set on fishing the ouse then try further upstream around bradwell. traditional baits will catch you plenty such as breadflake, cheesepaste and mashed bread.

travel light and fishing in all the likely looking areas.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
try the weirpool at olney,not too far from milton keynes.....its free fishing as well .bread mash is fast becoming my fav chub bait with a bit of flake on the hook,taken from the inside of a big hedgehog tinned loaf from asda.

catman

Reaction score
What species are prolific in the emberton park stretch. i am mainly interested in the weir pool.

E

EC

The Ouzel is ace, I've been there and caught(yes a long way I know). There is a 3pounder every 10yards on the ouzel factomondo!

catman

Reaction score
Where exactly on the ouzel. Are the fish spooky. Can you trot for them

E

EC

I fished a place which was called (Ouzel?) Valley Park or something, just near to MK.

Yeah you can trot for them the first 1 I had was on trotted bread, there's loads of bends, and a weir as well.

Happy days mate loads of fish to 3 pound, maybe more, the yokels will know!

S

Stuart Harvey

most of the ouzel in mk belongs to mkaa (www.mkaa.co.uk) and is all day ticket on the bank .if you see a baliff i'll be shocked.

anywhere between newport pagnell and caldecotte, snd you'll catch chub.

E

EC

Its a great part of the world for accessible river fishing, wish we had that!

catman

Reaction score
will they be prolific at this time of the year do you think?

S

Stuart Harvey

all year mate. my biggest from the ouzel came in july a couple of years back on dog biscuits. but i find it easier in the winter. does get a bit too overgrown in the summer.

mkaa have probably got too much water to baliff properly. you can get day tickts from the local tackle shops. if you're gonna make it a regular thing, get a season ticket. only 25-30 quid.