Coleman stoves

C

Chris Bishop

Anyone got a diagram/instructions for how the pump bit works..?

Took mine to bits in desperation today.

Lit it up, WHUMP *small fire on boat*.

Can't seem to get it to suck air in or keep any pressure now.

tony70

Reaction score
is that one of the petrol ones if so i think you have to pump around 30 times then light once lit pump a further 15 times or so and turn little red lever

C

Chris Bishop

Cheers Rik.

Tony, I sussed that much. Or rather my mate showed me how to do it.

I think the little washer inside the *pumpy bit* has a tear in it, so when I pump, it doesn't put any pressue in.

C

Chris Bishop

There again it could be the inlet valve. Couldn't get the b@stard to light today, ended up eating cold Kebab Attack, which ain't too civilised.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Chris ,
get an MSR stove as there far superior to the old sportster,and because the bottle is seperate I find easier (and safer)to transport
I have a coleman and an MSR whisperlight and it has made the sportster redundant-I always found it a pain in the **** and pressure holding very poor,maybe I too have a bad one but it doesnt matter now as its only used for melting lead in the garage now.

C

Chris Bishop

I watched Lee *Jamie Oliver* Swords cook up a curry to die for on one a couple of months back, I just had to have one after that.

I like it on the boat because it can't fall over and it was pretty idiot-proof until I broke it.

In fact I never had a problem with it. Until I had a problem with it.

I went through three of those flat gas bottle stoves in one season. Before that I had Camping Gaz etc.

I alsways seemed to be buying gas bottles, cost an arm and a leg.

Coleman goes on petrol, fill the tank and it lasts two or three trips, even when out with mates.

Something really sociable about being able to put on a decent meal - Pot Noodle Melange, All Day Brekker au Stag Chilli avec Mean Beanz Mexicana etc.

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

Chris
There are some do's and don'ts with Colemans. I've had a sportster for about ten years, but give me 24 hours so I can have a look at mine tomorrow, then I'll have refreshed my memory.

Full script tomorrow.

S

sash

Bish,

Not had a problem in the two years I've had my double Coleman. Think you were sold a bit of a dud there mate! Sounds like the pressure build up just isn't happening, you are keeping your thumb over the hole when pumping aren't you?

K

Kevan Farmer

The MSR has been mentioned and I'll back it up. I too have a Whisperlight. I bought mine 5 or 6 years ago in Australia and it has never ever let me down. It is always with me when I go fishing,

C

Chris Bishop

I am, but you take it off on the "back stroke" don't you..?

S

sash

No. Keep your finger over the hole while pumping otherwise the pressure will not build up, fuel will get sprayed everywhere and you'll get a huge orange flame.