Underwater Camera

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here's a question that's always intrigued me. Watching the excellent Korda Underwater DVD's (I've just watched the fifth for a review soon) I'm wondering just how aware the carp are of the camera.

The camera can't be far from the action due to it being able to shoot without distortion (even in the very clear waters of the lakes in Wellington Country Park).

Do the carp just get used to it being there, and carry on feeding naturally?

Or are they aware of the camera and feed more warily, and therefore the underwater shots are not giving us a completely true picture of what does go on when carp feed?

T

The Monk

I think fish get used to things in their own environment very quickly as anyone who has dived with fish will realise.

In my younger days I`ve swam underwater to check the areas I have been fishing and it really is amazing how close to fish you can get without causing alarm

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'd be pretty sure for a while they might be of a curious nature but not for long. It soon becomes part of their environment and will not bother them in the slightest. In the past i've balled in groundbait to initially have the fish spook but in no time they are back and have not been at all bothered by the constant barricading above them, they get used to it.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Listening to some of the lads who snorkel in the Ribble and stilwaters gives me the impression that fish soon get used to anything strange in their environment.
In my HQ, we have a photo of big perch swimming around a car which had been dumped into the lake. The perch were not bothered by the diver either.

B

Big Rik

and what about Chris Yates putting the scarecrow in Redmire and had the carp swimming around it

W

He replaced it with himself didnt he?

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I think in this case, after a while the camera is treated exactly the same as a large stone would be, the fish dont know the difference between a cmaera and a rock.

Unless they can sense some sort of electrical impulses?

F

Frothey

maybe the answer for stalking fish is for everyone to go stomping around lakes, shouting at the top of their voices....the fish'd get used to it?

W

Frothey, you on the Pimms again old chap?

T

The Monk

In one of BBs books, it may have been Wood Pool? he told of a guy who used to fish a Wrought iron gated pool, the guy used to stomp up to the pool, bang open the gate, stamp around the pool and leave slamming the gate, he then crept back and started fishing and apprently he used to catch?

Jim Gibbinson once wrote about cows in cow drinks, how carp would feed along side them but as soon as a human appeared on the bank, the carp would scatter.

F

Frothey

just conditioning isnt it?

theres a little farm pool near canterbury....the owner never fished it, but always used to feed the fish from the same spot, some concrete steps with a gate at the top. the fish were quite spooky apart from this one place. you only had to open the gate and slam it for the fish to appear.....

its that time wol, all the beers gone, the tequila, the alchopops, saving the last two bottles of wine for tonight so we're drinking all the stuff you'd never touch thats festering at the back of the cupboard.

apple schnapps anyone?

W

Dont you have to shampoo first though?

Spritzer?

F

Frothey

spritzer? water down alchohol? me?

could put some vodka in the soda stream i suppose....

the problem with shampooing first is spotting the bubblers.

T

The Monk

I have 4 ponds in the garden and all have fish in them, although I feed them regularly, they still scatter when I arrive at the ponds (maybe its the habit)?

F

Frothey

underwater camera shop?

in my dads pond if anyone comes along they just head to the corner they get fed in.

W

But wont the money get all wet Frothy?

I guess as a safe bet its best to pay by plastic in an underwater camera shop.....