So it's a New Year

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Last year was a brilliant angling year for me.
I broke several PB's and met a few of the members on FM, who are a great bunch of blokes.
This year I aim to increase my barbel, chub, tench and pike PB's, bream and roach would also be nice.
Hopefully I will meet some more FM members and forge some new friendships.

How about you, what are you hoping for?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

A big brown trout and some nice grown-on rainbows will do me very well.

But most of all to enjoy my fishing in the company of people who are good for a laugh.

Disco stu

Reaction score
As i have moved from northampton to oakham in rutland, i am going to concentrate more on river fishing.
I am off work until the end of january so i am going to make a start next week. I have been buying some new gear over the
last month in preperation for this.
Because of an earlier accident i cant carry a lot of tackle at the moment so it seems to me an ideal time to roam with the minimum of gear.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Steve,

It usually takes me 5 years to break one never mind 6 in one year. I'd love to break my PBs for any of the six species you mention but won't hold my breath...

At least I broke my PB chub twice this season. Interesting that Tony Miles finally broke his PB chub after 40 years, well deserved.

Alf OOI

Reaction score
'So it's a New Year - Have you got any targets to achieve?'

Just too catch sum fish.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Mark,

I broke my barbel PB twice 11lb 10oz, Chub twice 6lb 2oz(with a bit of help from you)tench three times 5lb 13oz(thanks to JC)and equalled my bream 6lb, on the Stour.
If this year is half as good, I will be chuffed to bits!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Targets for 2006

1. Spend more time fishing for:
Rudd, Crucian Carp, Dace and Roach
2. Spend more time fly fishing on the Avon
3. Buy more tackle than I could ever hope to carry ;-)
4. Stay alive until 2007!
5. Enjoy my fishing even more this year than I did last year.

I don't keep a list of my personal best catches other than to about the nearest ?lb and I really find that topping previous catches is not that important to me anymore as long as I enjoy the location and the company.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'll fix a day's fishing for you yet on the upper Dorset Stour, Peter. No personal bests to worry about up there but the fishing is interesting and uncrowded. Might have to leave most of the tackle shop behind though!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers Mark, I promise to take you up on that very soon.

I fancied that Roach swim that we looked at just before the season opened myself - bloody long walk though across that field.

Maybe that nice Mr. Woody will come and act as Sherpa for the day, seeing as how he is now semi-retired and looking for a new part-time job ;-)

How about it Jeff?

F

Fred Bonney

Bed and breakfast layed on and I'll do it Peter.
Having said that I saw your LOAD at Clattercote,let Woody do it.

K

Kevan Farmer

I would simply like to do some more fishing :) I have finally got a long term project 'practically' finished so I should have more time..... 'should'!!!

C

Chris Bishop

I want a 30, like I always have.

But if I don't make it this season, more of the great company and good laughs I've had the last few weeks will more than compensate.

Hardly caught anything today but really enjoyed it. In fact I'm enjoying it more than I can remember.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Well last year was fantastic for me too. I fished more than ever, my fishing progressed more than ever and I caught 8 P.B.'s!!!! I was at one stage planning on trying to make it ten but never got round to it, more important things got in the way. The P.B's were,

Pike (deadbait) - 18lbs - Lure 15lbs+ (no scales)
Perch - 2lbs+ (no scales)
Barble - 8lbs
Bream - 8lbs
Carp - 13lbs (I have had bigger from comercials but dont count them)
Rainbow Trout - 2lbs+ (no scales)
(Wild) Brown Trout - 3oz (no scales)
Zander - 3lbs

I think it will be impossible to top that, I'm not even going to try.

What I am aiming for though is,

10lb+ Barble
10lb+ Bream
20lb+ Pike
20lb+ Carp
1lb+ Roach

Its a tall order but I hope to get at least three. The 20lb fish will be from a low stocking density large pit of some sort, Maybe even the forgotten lake!

I also want to teach myself to floater fish for carp. and use my centrepin and enjoy it all as mush as last year!

tony70

Reaction score
my record for this year is hard breaming and carp fishing as pbs are
18lbs carp
18lbs pike
bream 3lbs
tench 6lbs
chub 6lbs
grayling 1lbs
trout 2lbs
barbel 7lbs
targeting crucians as i havnt caught them for years as this club i joined stocks them,

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
only a couple of things to achieve this new year steve.....
1= just to carry on enjoying my fishing.thanks to a certain person on this site,i`ve learned to enjoy my fishing all over again and i`ve come to realise that you dont have to catch to enjoy fishing,there`s more to it than that.

2=the other thing is to make the lives of the foreigners next door to us a misery like they have made ours at times.we have been treated to such delights as loud music at 3am in the morning,arguing and fighting in the street in the early hours plus changing/swapping over complete sets of wheels from one car to another in the early hours.they have upset us and the folk the other side to them.

a happy new year to you all on the greatest fishing website on the net.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I'm not worried about PB's. I just want to go fishing as often as I can and try a few new locations.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
You've got my sympathy Nick, I've been there with the neighbour from hell aswell.
Single parent, four kids (absolute B******s) cars arriving 3am for their drugs or knock off gear and she was on the game! She also threatened to kill my wife!
We had to move, no choice.
Every year has been a good one since then.

Your right, it's not about PB's or catching at all, it's about getting out and enjoying it. PB's are a bonus for me.