Weir barbel

B

Benjimima

I've never caught a barbel so all u experts out dere i need ur help. My venue is a very fast moving weirpool on the avon. How long should i make my hooklink if im using a feeder? Somebody plz. sum1 must no!!!!

njb51

Reaction score
it may be a little cold for barbel at the moment. I'd leave it til we get some warmer weather.

About 18 inches of hooklength is usually a good starting point when fishing the feeder, then either shortening or lengthening as need be.

L

Laurie Harper

Do beef up your tackle in a weirpool - they're usually full of rocks, snags and nasty things. Consider using a rotten bottom to attach lead or feeder to prevent tethering if a fish breaks you. The strength of the current will make for a tougher fight from anything you hook. I wouldn't drop below 10 lb. line and a 1.75 tc. rod for barbel in a weirpool, especially if you fish near the sill, where a lot of the snags tend to be. You may have to add weight to your hooklength as the current will often lift it off the bottom and the bait will wave around in mid water - not good presentation. Good luck.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
At this time of year you're probably better fishing the run off where the flow steadies, especially if you can find a deep spot.

If you do use a long hooklink (over 12") it might be worth putting a shot or tungsten putty about 4" back from the hook to keep the hooklink pinned down.