big hooks for bream

catman

Reaction score
A strange question really but what are the biggest hooks anyone has ever experienced or heard of bream being caught on? The reason I ask this is because I fish claydon for catfish but I wish to hedge my bets to minimize a blank day. i want a hook size than bream, carp, and catfish can take but will not staighten. Any ideas?

catman

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of size 2 or 4. Don't forget they need to be sturdy enough for cats. Thanks anyway.

tony70

Reaction score
raptors or animal are strong they wont let you down

catman

Reaction score
Cheers but what size could a big bream (7lbs+) get in it's mouth? I haven't caught any bream of this size but I would imagine you have.

CAT

Reaction score
Catman, i have caught the crap fighting, slimy, dustbin lids on size 4 Raptors and Double 20mm boilies, there a pain in the arse and i personally would rather blank than try and catch a Bream, but each to thier own.

catman

Reaction score
Cheers cat. What's ya PB bream? The reason i wanna catch some big bream is because it's just something else to add to my record. Why are you 'CAT' Is it coz you are into catfishin?

catman

Reaction score
Would bream take a 21mm halibut pellet do you know?

tony70

Reaction score
most likely i have only fished basically on corn or banded pellet

CAT

Reaction score
Don't weigh the things, we have had some big ones on the Trent whilst Carping 6lb+ easy.

As for the name Cat, its my nick name, for various reasons but our lass reckons they call me Cat because i only come home when i need feeding.

tony70

Reaction score
no but caught chub and barbel on hallibut boillies on them no problem

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

Regularly use 4s hooks when breaming with lob worm. On one of the waters I fish, which is also carp fished, the carp lads are using 21 mm pellets and 22 mm boilies. These guys are catching a lot of bream as well on such baits.
Bream have far bigger mouths than many people think and a 10 lb fish could quite easily get a golfball in its mouth.