The Art of the Bankside Prank

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good fun from Paul and I've been involved with some crackers, but let's hear about yours first.

C

Cakey

one of my favourites on a runs water was when one of my mates visited the cafe was to swap the two spools over so when he got a run he was winding the wrong rod in !

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

This has just brought memories of my fat jake story's flooding back to me.
I'll have to put them into words, the torment that he suffered was amazing.

One of the storys was that there were allways three of us. Myself, Graham, ( no relation to our Graham) and fat Jake himself.

Fat Jakes wife was very houseproud and would never let Graham or myself into their house by the front door, we allways had to go round the back and sit in the conservatory.

Anyhow, one day, all three of us were out piking. When the time came to go home, fat Jake took most of his tackle to his car and left his chair with us until he came back for it.
Graham took a very tattered sardine deadbait and hid it in the padding of fat Jakes chair, knowing that he allways kept the chair in one of the spare bedrooms at his home.
His wife wouldn't let him out for a fortnight after that. But he would never tell us why, he didn't need to, we already knew why.

After all, what are mates for?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

An old mate of mine urinated in a blokes wellies which he hade left outside a pub to avoid soiling the carpets.

When he came out and put on his wellies he said - "Hell it's been raining - but it's warm rain".

I once hooked a very dead and gutted trout on the hook through the lip of a friend who fell asleep on the boat whilst we were fishing Rapalas on downriggers.

I then pulled the line to make the reel screech and woke him, telling him he had a take....... :eek:)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Poor fat Jake asked Graham to tie him an end rig one day, as he was still learning the ropes. We were all too willing to help him out by tieing an end rig made up completly of pva string. He sat there for about three hours before winding in to check his bait.
The funniest thing was looking at Grahams deadpan face as he scratched his head and said, he has never known anything like that to happen before.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Fishing a very deep pit with slider float, Shane who was new to the water kept asking what depth I had, holding my rod up for him to see, "About 4 to 5ft look"

"Hell I can't find bottom in this peg" say's he !!!.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of matches in Norway involve some very long walks from the car parks to the pegs.

One typical dodge was to have one, or more, of the anglers distracted while others would help to fill their carryalls and seat boxes with bricks ;-)

fishy pete

Reaction score
sneek up to your mate's rods wil'st he's asleep in his bivvy attach a spool of 2lbs line to his mainline retreat to nearist clump of bushes,and make his alarms scream by yanking on 2lbs line repeatadly untill he flys out of bivvy and lifts up rod with a rather bemused look on his face cos there is no fish attached!

replaced some 16mm hard trout pellet with 16mm dissolving pellets,gave to a mate to try on local water cos,pellet was murdering tench,mate goe's and trys em,but brings em back with moans and groans about bieng un-able to keep said pellets on hair rig!

fishy pete

Reaction score
mackeral fillet under carpet in boot of mates old banger,wil'st out piking was a classic!
stunk for months ,and he never did find it!lol

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

We had a bloke in my old club who was always pi**ing about on the bank and generally making a nuisance of himself. One sunday we were fishing on the Thames at Marlow and he was in the next peg to me. About midday he decided to go for a walk and see how the other member were getting on. As soon as he had gone out of sight I used my landing net to fish out a dead duck that was floating just under the bank to the side of me. I then carefully unpacked his carryall and put the duck in the bottom, covered it with a black plastic bag and just as carefully put all his gear back.
On the way back to the cars he did mention how heavy his bag felt and that he should start taking less gear with him. He didn't find the duck until nearly a week later when his wife complained about the terrible smell in the spare room.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

On a return to South Africa some years ago I took a spool or two back with me of PVA string.

I gave a demonstration to a few of the locals there on how the stuff gradually goes totally invisible under water. They were amazed.

In hindsight I could have made a fortune selling the stuff. For a week or so.

But I'm not that nasty.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've been fishing with "Bogey" my best mate for 22 years now, we are still big kids.
Not so long ago we were deeply involved in a barbel session, it was boring as hell, nothing doing.
I got that glint in my eye and the wicked smile on my face, he was going to get it!
We were in deep undergrowth, but I could just make out his head 20 yards down stream of me.
Luncheon meat or cheese I thought? It would have to be tough enough to get through all the stingers and stuff, so it was cheese, a 2 inch square lump!
I loaded up, pulled back, aimed and let go (hehehe)
BULLSEYE....! Straight in the head, his arms and legs whent up in the air, so did his rod, he fell off his box backwards.
I was "rocking" (I am know) what a shot!!!
I ran down to him laughing my rocks off, he was still lead on his back, moaning "you B*****d!"
I did feel a bit guilty though, when I saw the inflamation to his cheek bone!

He got me back in Ireland though...

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

That's not a prank. It's assault with weapon.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It was funny though Frank, hehehehe and we are very good friends!

OK, so we went to Ireland on a bream fishing holiday.
The accommodation was a cottage B+B very nice people.
To cut it short, we (me and Bogey) shared a two bed room (singles) Bogey is a slob!
He chucks his clothes anywhere!
Anyway, we returned home after a hard days fishing, the lady said " it's ok I've put your dirty clothes away Steve!!!!!???"
Bogey left the worst pair of pants (stained) on the floor you've seen in your life! And they got put back in my drawer.
Breakfast the next morning was very embarrassing, but Bogey loved it!

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

I use to fish a large mere for its bream with a WELL-KNOWN angler just after mobile phones had hit the market.
The crack on this water was to fish a submerged point swim which extended out about 100 yards at its furthest. My mate would fish the left side of the point, said angler the middle and me on the right. Below me were two other anglers.
Well-known angler, we?ll call him Cell Phone Man for this purpose, due to his fascination with all things new and electronic, had to wade out 20 yards to cast to the end of the point.
Every time he went to make a cast his mobile would go off and he?d stop his cast and wade back to the bank, where upon it would stop. This process went on for some time with Cell phone Man getting more and more irate and chunnering to himself.

The 2 anglers down from me were laughing their tripes off behind their brollies, but CPM being just too far away to hear them didn?t realise it was them making the calls and winding him up for a good 10 minutes.

Now I wonder whether Cell Phone Man will identify himself on here because I know he looks in from time to time?

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

P.S. where's Ed? He has to tell the one about the Penguin!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
OK, I confess, I'm CPM. They had me good and proper. They heard a few choice words that day when I realised what was going on.

Served me right though, cos I've pulled some good stunts myself.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I used to fish with a bloke from work who thought he was a real tough cookie, nowt would scare him. Any way we were fishing with another mate on the Avon and the hard man was sporting a brand new 'bib 'n' brace' and bragging how butch he looked, how warm and snug etc. Whilst we Plebs were scruffy urchins.

I caught an eel of about a pound and managed to slip it into the back of his new fishing suit without him knowing; he found out soon enough!

I've never heard a grown man scream at such a high pitch. Watching him struggling to get his clothes off with his legs waving in the air like a fat beetle on his back whilst screaming had me and my pal in hysterics for sometime...it was a good thing I was driving us home as I feel I may have had a long walk. The journey home was strangely silent apart from suppressed laughter from two urchins and indignant snorts from the hard man.

At work the next day all the lads had bought in some plastic snakes to wave at the 'hard man'. No sense of humour some people; funnily enough we have never been out fishing together either!

P

Paul Christie 2

During a match on a local club outing, absolutely no one was catching or getting bites.

The 70 year old committee member on the next peg to a mate of mine went for a stroll out of shear boredom.

20 minutes later he retuns and suddenly he's getting a bite a chuck, but striking furiously and cursing at every missed bite, knowing one fish could win him the match. It drove him mad as time and time again his float shot under.

Everyone else was in hysterics. My mate had nipped an extra No 4 shot on his set up. He never did put the poor sod out of his misery!!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Fishing on Startops at Tring a few years ago with Wol and his brother in law, we drew straws to see who was gonna go for the bacon sarnies (cafe on site). Martin lost and off he trouped.

We had found two dried out and shrivelled minnows on the concrete,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes yes,,we wound in his rods and impalled one on each of the rigs and chucked em back out.

For the next 30 mins his rods were showing indications of fish activity but nothing you could strike at like.

We kept telling him is was probably small stuff that couldn't get the mags in!!!!!!

In the end I just couldn't stop myself from laughing, and Wol, and the game was up, but it was the highlight of the day.