Under The Thumb!!

dezza

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed the number of anglers who carry on with comments like "When she'll let me go fishing", or "Brownie Points from 'er indoors", or "I'll have to hide the latest rod or she'll see it!"

Blimey it makes me think why some people want to get married in the first place.

When I got married, I made darned sure that she was as keen as me when it came to long weekends and holidays fishing in the bush. And thank goodness she was. I enjoyed many fabulous fishing trips with my late wife, and little boy too.

But is seems that to many people, getting in the odd fishing trip causes all sorts of domestic hassle.

Are you under the thumb?

dezza

Reaction score
Then she must learn to drive or use the bus.

I use the bus lots when I need to get about, and it costs me nothing. The only time I use my car is when I go fishing.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I've no trouble, though had to ban the wife from fishing with me due to out fishing me and showing the other lads up on the bank.:mad:
She doesn't fish any more due to arthritus, she has a driving licence but doesn't drive due to diabetis. She never questions what I spend on fishing.

stikflote

Reaction score
I no problems with my wife when i go fishing or not,i give her a choice,
i always ask her if she needs to go anywhere if so we go shopping or what ever, if she no i go fishing simple.

shes never questioned the amount ive spent on tackle, its a lot less than 4 brand new motorbikes lol, too old to ride em now

sagalout

Reaction score
I do what I like when I like and at whatever cost I like. I also write whatever I like coz she don't read the internet.

kevin o connor

Reaction score
The only thing my better half says when I tell her I am going fishing is "Do you want me to make you up a flask." I normally drop her over to her father's house when I am going and she gets him to drive her home. She is one in a million :wh Mind you, for this , she does get to live with ME.:wh:rolleyes:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed the number of anglers who carry on with comments like "When she'll let me go fishing", or "Brownie Points from 'er indoors", or "I'll have to hide the latest rod or she'll see it!"

Blimey it makes me think why some people want to get married in the first place.

When I got married, I made darned sure that she was as keen as me when it came to long weekends and holidays fishing in the bush. And thank goodness she was. I enjoyed many fabulous fishing trips with my late wife, and little boy too.

But is seems that to many people, getting in the odd fishing trip causes all sorts of domestic hassle.

Are you under the thumb?

That the problem Ron

Her Ladyship doesn't mind me going angling it "Fishing in the bush" that gets me in trouble :D

chav professor

Reaction score
Lord Paul, the foot could go on the other shoe - perhaps you should be worried if the missus want YOU to go fishing all the time;)

bigchub

Reaction score
My missus doesn't have a problem with me going fishing, apart from my innate ramblings about bait, base mixes, boilies, flavours, rods, chub fishing,..........
Well you guys can probably get the idea that I'm a little obsessive about my chub fishing and yes it does do her nut in!

Reaction score

Are you under the thumb?

My wife completely understands my need to fish; in fact today she insisted I go down the river because it was such a lovely afternoon and I hadn't got out for a while...

In good weather she even enjoys coming along...

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-fishing-friends-picture537-my-beautiful-wifes-first-surface-caught-carp.jpg

chris_fox

Reaction score
Having married a feisty vegetarian who apart from running part of the stock exchange is dedicated to family life. Then mix that with a career which means I work long hours, often away .......... under the thumb, not sure, would I tell her I am off fishing when I wanted to at my convenience and live to tell the tale? errrrr certainly not.

Ahhh the choices we make ........... does make the fishing all the more wonderful when it comes along

dannytaylor

Reaction score
My first serious relationship died a death due too fishing. My current girlfriend is a DIAMOND she understands my passion and dosen't give me to much hassle :wh

I think the secret is to balance things out, and also to tell them exactly how it is from the start :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Never had anything other than 100% support for my fishing and all the encouragement to go when I want to....
However,I don't forget that I have a part to play in this and so make every attempt to see she gets what she wants from the relationship....like tonight when she's out with her friends from work(having not seen them since retirement last summer)and i know she will come back all the better for being away from the house-and me-for a while!!

We also go out together to eat and shop and holidays are usually fishing free-its the time when we enjoy our joint interests...and I support her in the garden she loves so much...I do the lugging etc..

I have learnt-the hard way-that taking ones partner for granted is a recipe for disaster so i work hard at avoiding this when possible..

I think it comes down to respect.......................................and being fair!

ps...Oh I nearly forgot...doing my fair share of the jobs round the house helps which includes the ironing which she hates with a passion!!

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
Tee Cee,

i agree i hoover all the passage and stairs ,she cant do stairs cos a poorly left arm,, two of us live in this household, so swings and roundabouts,my wife never asks for much so if she does need to go out then i take her ,i can always go fishing another day
i could most likely fish 5 days a week no problems

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
two of us live in this household, so swings and roundabouts

Spot on Stikflote and Tee Cee come to that. You need to find a life partner with whom a reasonable compromise is possible. After all we don't want to go fishing, we need to.

My missus (been together 32 years) has her own interests, succesful rowing coach amonst others, I don't cut her space down and she never complains about me going fishing.

stikflote

Reaction score
Stu _the_Blank,

(been together 32 years) 49 years for me this october ,she,s a good un

got to be, to put up with me