Moving to the North West

stuart clough

Reaction score
I will be moving back to my native North West in the next couple of months having been exiled in Dorset and Hampshire for over 10 years. I notice there are quite a few notherners on this forum and am looking for suggestions of good places to live (and those to avoid).

The place will ideally be within around half an hours drive of junction 3 of the M60 (Cheadle), and North Cheshire looks favourite at the moment.

I would prefer something semi-rural, and if there happened to be some good fishing close by then that would be ideal (don't tell the missus I asked the last bit!)

Any suggestions?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Scotland!

Near a sea trout river and the vast expanse of a loch.

I need say no more.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I reckon I'm in one of the best fishing areas Stuart. Easy travelling to lots of waters, with plenty on the doorstep. Semi rural as you are asking.
Grappenhall, Stockton Heath, Appleton, all in the Cheshire belt. Close to Cheadle aswell.

Get in touch if you move down here. If you have an area in mind, e-mail me and I'll tell you wether to avoid it or not.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

See lads, that's how good I am.
I even cop them as they cross the border nowadays. :)

R

Robert Woods 1

I live in Runcorn Cheshire only 1/2 mile from ICI chemical works. So when I go fishing I enjoy it more...!!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Bugger off Bob, Runcorn may be in Cheshire, but only on paper. :)

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL, SCT with Pride

Stuart
Given the traffic chaos on the M60 in the rush hours like 24/7 you need to be living within 100 metres of where you?re working, so you can walk to work it?s quicker mate!
If your looking at M6 side of Gt Manchester, I hope you have a very understanding Bank or Building Society Manager, coz he?s going to have to shell out to you ? ? million minimum for a mortgage, which might just buy you a small hovel in Lymm or Altrincham.

Personally I?d look within Stockport Metro area Romiley, Marple, Hazel Grove Breadbuy at a push. But house prices will be between 150 - 220 K and above. South Manchester City the prices are again starters at 200k. Cheaper prices in the east of the city but less desirable 80K upwards.

I?ve gota say it makes me weep when I see the sort of prices houses are going for now in the Gt. Manchester region.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Thanks Baz and Phil,
I must admit the house prices have taken me a little by surprise - even coming from Hampshire.

We did look at Hazel Grove but by all accounts the A6 is even worse than the M60, and getting onto the M60 from Romiley was a nightmare, even during the middle of the day.

Between houzse prices, traffic hotspots, schools and flightpaths it is beginning to do my head in trying to find something decent.

Now considering a longer commute just to get something semi-rural that is in range.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Stuart, I've lived in this area all my life. If you let me know what style of house you are looking for and how many beds, and what your budget is, I'll suggest some alternatives and can tell you roughly how long it will take to Cheadle and back in the morning/ evening.

Private mail if you prefer.

S

Skive

Stuart,

i work in Cheadle and live in Bramhall. Takes 15 mins on a bad day.

Try looking at Bramhall, Bramhall/Hazel Grove Border, Poynton, Cheadle Hulme, Handforth, Parts Of Wilmslow, Heald Green and Cheadle its self.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Mid-Cheshire, around Northwich, is well connected to the motorway network, has an abundance of fishing within 30mins -1hours drive and the house prices are very reasonable for a semi rural location. Wilmslow/Bramhall/Macclesfield etc, in fact South Manchester in general, are all hellish expensive for not a lot of house.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has offered some advice both on the forum and privately.
I will keep looking, and trying to get as much info as I can on the travelling times via the three possible routes to Jcn 3 i.e M60 from Stockport direction, M56/60 from Warrington end or A34 from "inland" (Wilmslow & beyond).

I'll let you know how I get on!
Thanks again.

P

paul williams 2

Stuart,
You are surely in a fishing paradise....you really THAT homesick? :)

stuart clough

Reaction score
Hi Paul - the fishing is great, I can't deny that. But all the family are in the North, as are all the in-laws and they are keen to see their grandkids grow up. The job I am going to is also going back to what I enjoy - aquatic ecology. I'm looking forward to putting in some time on the Ribble and Dove and perhaps the Cheshire Mere's.

If anyone has any suggestions of other venues that are a "must" then I will be happy to investigate.

Perhaps in a couple of years I will be well placed to settle th North -vs- South debate once an for all!