Skills In Angling

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Spot on Matt.
Sometimes people can get too romantic going on about trotting with centerpins or fishing the lift method, which are fine methods to use and catch fish with.
Some though, think that these are the only methods you should employ, and that bolt rigs, bite alarms, long stay fishing ect should all be banned and there is no skill involved.
Each to their own is what I say

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

spot on micheal,i second that comment people should just go and engoy there chosen method.
matt, how does someone become a member of the d.v.s.g ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

It's nice to be able to use all skills as conditions or various species require it.

All my angling life I have learned different styles of fishing. When I think back, I have done the lot, with one exception and that is fly fishing for salmon with a double handed rod.

One day I will try that too.

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

each time i venture onto the banks of a venue i learn some
thing new. with this in mind i find that each time i employ a method i find that the previous trip has helped me with desiding on the factors to use when setting up the chosen method and changes that i can make durring the session to help with gwtting some rod bending action!

J

john ledger

Mike i reckon we needed skill last week when you and i went to fish the Idle and it was frozen over,skill to get back in the car

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Or sense to get back in the car John!

Danny its invitation only - youv'e got more chance of shitting in the queens bog.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Each to their own is what I say"

I could not agree more.

There are only 2 things in our sport that really make me angry;

1. Those people who are intollerant of others methods/target species, and . . . . .

2. Those bloody Carp anglers

PS
Sorry Graham - I couldn't resist it.

PPS
Only joking Frothey ;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Come on Pete - nothing wrong with carp anglers, especially Cakey, Frothey, Big Rik and little Stu. These three guys appreciate other species and other methods of angling too.

All anglers should fish the way that suits them. None of us can do everything in our lives.

There is a tendency for some anglers to deprecate certain styles of fishing. Take carp fishing for example; and here I am talking about proper carp fishing for big canny fish, not Noddy fishing in overstocked muddy puddles.

The guys that catch these fish regularly are no fools make no mistake. Its not just about chucking out a number of bolt rigs and sleeping in a bivvy. The top carp anglers are constantly thinking about their quarry, the rigs they are using, the baits they are using. I have also noticed something about top carp men too. They are constantly looking at the water and will have no compunction in moving to another place, even with all that gear, if they think they have made a mistake.

To be successful at angling demands a whole host of skills. Ours is the only hunting sport that depends on one particular habit of our quarry.

Feeding!

A pheasant does not have to feed for you to shoot it.

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

well ill keep the venues under my hat that keep popping some very nice fish up then in donny area!.... hush hush and all.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
You'd do well to anyway mate, at least dont broadcast them over forums.

Meant to say, top article Matt, far too many people have blinkers about fishing.

P.S. My comment regards the DVSG wasnt having a go, should have put a !-) after it. Just re-read it and seen it looked as though it could be.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Top article Matt. I've seen a lot of negativity between the different factions in angling over the last few years in both the media and on this very forum, it's good to see someone spreading the good word of opening your eyes and appreciating what a wonderful sport we have however each individual chooses to enjoy it. A united, tolerant front is the only way we'll ever beat the anti's.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
This season I have fished The rivers Idle, Swale, Derbyshire Derwent, Upper Witham, The Guden in Denmark,The Rother and the Trent I have also fished the Aston pond complex, Treeton Dyke, Decoy lakes some lakes in Cambridgshire in cant remember the names of. I have fished stick float, waggler, feeder, pole and surface with dog-biscuit . I have used maggotts.casters,pinkies sweetcorn, worms luncheon meat pellets large and small hempseed and bread as flake and paste. While i have not been particularly successful i have done reasonabley well and enjoyed almost every session catching roach bream carp tench chub dace perch bleak and small skimmers The barbel has eluded me but i havnt really tried for them but having had a decent and fairly diverse fishing season i cant grumble and it certainly stops you getting bored. The river season has a few weeks left so who knows what they will bring. Tight lines to all

T

Tony Rocca

Plugging on the pole is difficult to master though Matt. :)

Enjoyed the article.

Yacko

Reaction score
As long as people enjoy there method and it doesn't impinge on others thats fine.
I know I have still a lot to learn but I can't help but smile when I see someone whos been fishing 30 years longer than me getting things very wrong. Like line twice as strong as necessary and using a baseball bat for a float.
I was fishing a pool in December where the carp only ran to about 6lb max and this old boy was ledgering with 10lb line. He got nothing and I got about 10lb of fish float fishing.
' I always ledger with 10lb line' he said.
Very dogmatic to adopt an 'I always' approach to an ever changing environment!
But its his choice.
Good article Matt.
Yacko