What do you look for,

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I'm going to have a couple of sessions out after a decent roach some time soon. I was just wondering what you might look for in a roach swim. I was thinking, smooth flowing water of an average depth on the outside of the bend with a bit of cover maybe?

Also I am planning to fish a quivertip in the main but maybe have a float rod set up as well for the odd run through. Would you favour the tip or the float for roach? Also I am planning on fishing into dark, how do you attach an isotope/starlight to a quivertip, any ideas?

I was planning on alternating between a small groundbait feeder and a bomb, and my groundbait was going to be a 50/50 mix of mashed bread and liquidised bread mixed up with hemp water and containing a bit of hemp caster and a few swim stim pellets.

Beecy

Reaction score
you can whip a bit of silicon tube to your rod tip that will take a starlite.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Picking a roach swim.

Look for a gentle flow over gravel if your river has it. Avoid swirly boily spots.

If you river has lilies in summer, fish over the old lily stalks.

If you are fishing into darkness, legering is the way to go. Use a very sensitive quiver with a betalight.

Avoid feeders and heavy bombs, use rather a swanshot link leger that just holds the bottom.

J

John McLaren

Enterprise Tackle do a beta-light holder for quiver tips which is ok for all but the finest of tips. Before they were available I used to tape a small beta-light along the tip with "magitape".

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Ron, You should know the river you've written enough articles on it, you should be able to guess whihc it is from that. Thanks for the info, I am planning on using the lightest quivertip on my John Wilson avon quiver, I have the enterprise betalight holders on the avon top of the rod. They have a too large diamiter hole to fit onto the quivertip. I think I might end up tapeing them on. Whats the difference between a Beta light, a starlight and an isotope? I have only used starlights, I believe isotopes are re-useable, just a glow in the dark stick essentially?

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Drennan Isotopes are the answer 2 in a packet with fixings that will attach to any quivertip and all for under ?8.00

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
just bought some over the net and they had a picture of the product so I can see how they will fit onto a quiver tip.

thanks guys.

James Hodkin

Reaction score
I've got em too mate they're well good! let me know how you get on after those redfins Paul

James