Abu 706 help please ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I've recently got an ABU 706 & hoping someone can confirm couple things if possible.

The drag setting knob on the side of the handle adjusts the tension of a conventional drag and this will work regardless as to whether the Anti Reverse is on or off ??

The 1/4 backwind (anti reverse ON) does no more than further releasing the tension of the standard drag setting to allow the fish to run. Once over ridden then reverts back to standard clutch setting ??

I already have an Abu Diplomat 602m, and teven though very different reels, it is natural to compare. The drag mechanism of the 602m allows line out with "click click" you normally associate with drag and as the line is freed, there is no movement of the bell housing of the reel. However the 706 when put under pressure releases line via the bell housing rotating and no "click click" .. its almost like its backwinding itself without moving the handle (if that makes sense ??) Can anyone confirm this is correct ??
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Ok ... think i've sussed it. I shall refer to the main conventional drag as "Drag 1" and the 1/4 turn lighter drag as "Drag 2".

Drag 1 - This is what i call a standard clutch and works with both the anti reverse being ON or OFF and is tensioned via the side knob on the handle.

Drag 2 - Only an option when Anti reverse is set to ON and is much lighter version of the standard drag setting (similar to how a baitrunner works).

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I am curious as to why i would ever need Drag 2. I cant think of a situation in my past where it would of been beneficial :confused:

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
drag 2 comes in handy ,when netting your monster fish ,if it see's the net and bolts ,the extra softer drag allows it too run without pulling the hook or snapping off

if the reel was used for spinning then ,a savage take can be followed by a run .you hit it then ,flick into drag 2 mode for the initial run ,then out again then rely on drag 1 too play the fish (also works for barbel) then drag 2 again (again) as you come too net it ,just in case.

you could if you was small carp fishing ,cast out ,tighten up then slip into drag 2 .now acting as a moderately set baitrunner ,again as the carp takes the bait and moves off or runs you re-engage the drag 1 mode .

just a few ideas that pop too mind .