cheese paste recipes

catman

Reaction score
Anyone reccomend some tried and tested cheese paste recipes?

J

jason fisher

have a look for dave slaters articles on chub fishing and the threads that went with them, they will probably be in the technique section of the site, theres about 6 articles on chubbing and a lot of cheesy stuff.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Mike,

I use powdered "Danish Blue" cheese powder for all my cheese pastes. The smell and taste this stuff possesses is unbelievable! Big chub, carp and barbel go mad for it.

Regards,

Lee.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Alan,

You used to be able to buy the stuff from selected bait dealer?s years ago. I believe "Cotswold Baits" sold either it or one very similar. I don't know of any bait dealers selling it know though?

You can't obtain it from supermarkets either?

I buy mine from a trade food wholesaler in 25kilo sacks. It?s expensive at around ?100 a sack but it lasts yonks provided it?s stored properly. I buy mine then have it re-packaged in smaller packages that I have vac-packed by a friend who has the machinery. I then pack these packages into a large air tight container and store on a shelf in my garage that is connected to my house. I'm still using the same bag I purchased six years ago and easily have over 50% left! So given the fact I fish a tremendous amount it?s quite a cheap bait for the initial outlay?

I make up my paste using the extremely strong cheese powder along with other ingredients and take to the bank in its powdered form. Once on the bank I mix it up using river water in a small plastic container I take with me with an air tight lid. The paste I make takes around 40 minutes to melt in the summer and much longer in the winter.

My rig I use is dead simple being a running lead with a nine inch hook length. A drennan boilee hook size six with a 10ml cork ball attached via a hair rig tight to the bend of the hook. I soak the cork balls in cheese flavour for a few days prior to use. I mould the cheese paste around the ball covering the entire hook apart from leaving the point and barb of the hook showing in the side of the paste ball and the cork ball gives the bait a degree of natural buoyancy. One can of course merely use a cheese flavoured boilee? The total bait size is around 30ml when cast in.

The beauty of this simple set up is that one can be extremely mobile casting into every likely fish holding area. The method is deadly when fishing in weirs or white water below them. If fishing statically, hold the rod handle at all times because the takes are very violent and come with no warning whatsoever.

I've found that the bait works extremely well in coloured water for some reason.

Regards,

Lee.

J

jason fisher

or alternatively, mr f could start knocking it out a ?2.50 per small vacuum packed bag plus postage and packing to selected members of fm.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Jason,

"or alternatively, mr f could start knocking it out a ?2.50 per small vacuum packed bag plus postage and packing to selected members of fm."

Sorry old love, no he can't. I can't think of anything worse in my angling life than getting involved in its commercial aspects. I just go fishing whilst giving the odd bit of info out on fishing sites occasionlly concerning some of the baits I use.

I do however, occasionally give some of my stuff away entirely free of charge, and that includes the postage as well!!

Regards,

Lee.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time for that detailed reply, Lee, and if you follow jason's hint, put me down for a tenner's worth?

Must go to the canteen and chat up the catering staff...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Whoops, crossed in the post!
Ok, quite understand, cook's in for a schmoozing! (I'll get her when she's breathed on the toast and has run out of flames).

J

jason fisher

i wasn't hinting old chap just joking. i just can't help myself some times.