Floater Fishing Rod.

Big Mart

Reaction score
I'm looking for a dedicated rod for surface fishing for Carp.

I have a Shimano Aero GTE-B (5000)to use with it and will be fishing close in to medium distances (I like to be able to see the fish feeding on my mixers).

The one I like the look of so far is the Free Spirit Surface Creeper for 89 Pounds. I can't seem to find Free Spirits Website so was wondering what people think of their rods and secondly if anyone can suggest an alternative tool for the job?

S

Sage

I have a free spirit 6ft creeper which I use for stalking. It is a superb rod, I would definately recommend them.

I think Fox do a dedicated floater rod.

K

Keith Finn

It is my honest opinion here but if you have a feeder rod already, use that.
I will gaurentee(spl) that you will cast further and will catch more fish as a result then using an overpriced, big named, lets get more money off 'em, floater rod.
I can cast further with freelined bread, using my Drennan big feeder, than most others can with thier controllers on!!!
All the controller does is spook them.
And the Drennan is a lot more useful then a "so called" floater rod.
If you can, borrow a feeder rod and try it out yourself, you WILL be surprised.
I have had Carp to 26lb(surface fishing)using it plus ~I use it for Barbel and Tench fishing as well.
Keith

Big Mart

Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback chaps.

Sage, good to know the free spirit is quality, i'd be looking for something a bit longer than 6ft (jungle stick?) though as i'd like to use it as a third rod on the buzzers sometimes.

Paul, dont know if Free Spirit are still trading. I can only find three shops that still sell these rods and no sign of a webiste unless they are owned by a parent company? Anyone else know?

Keith, I only have the 2 carp rods at present (Ususally leave them semi made up to save time). I have floater fished the last 3-4 years with my John Wilson Avon Quiver (1.25tc). Its been fun but catching up to 17lb has been testing at times and I think it could be making it go soft over time. I was just thinking of getting something with a little bit more back bone that I can use as a 3rd rod in the margins on the buzzers. I appreciate what you say though so do you think maybe a Barbel/Feeder rod (say 1.75-2lb tc) would do the trick and I can use it elsewhere? Or maybe a lighter carp rod, Any suggestions? Bear in mind taking them of the top is my favourite method and I am sometimes know to be a bit prolific on a good day.

K

Keith Finn

It's the action of the rod you need to look at the most, if it's a poker or too tippy you won't get anywhere with it.
Try casting a float with a carp rod and you will see what I mean, it is too stiff.
THe Wilson quiver type is through action and is the best bet for fishing in the margins if you like to have good fight but it's a bit of a pain for further out as it takes too long to get them in as it has no backbone in it.
I did have a Fox Barbel quiver 2 3/4 and I did use it for floater work but I still prefer the Drennan.
My friend, who bought it off me, uses it all the time for close in Carping and all his floater work and he catches his fair share of fish.(Sometimes too fecking many)
Keith

Big Mart

Reaction score
Youre spot on with the Wilson, anything caught at range doesnt half hang on! good fun for the first few but wading through
the littluns can make your arm ache.

I reckon i'll have a look for something around 2lb tc with a bit of backbone. Any suggestions on length for the speed of setting the hook? Stick to 11-12ft or are there any merits in it being a bit shorter or longer?

K

Keith Finn

Never thought about that just always use 12 footers so I can cast from under trees whilst kneeling down.
If looking for a rod the best way to describe it " it is in the waggle of it "
Too stiff and it won't cast , too wobbly and it won't cast distance.
You just need to get it right for you!
Keith

stuart clough

Reaction score
I have a pair of Fox 2lb test curve 12ft floater specials. I bought a pair because they are 4 piece and they live in one of the "hidden" compartments in the boot of the car.

When left made up they can be broken at the middle joint into 2 six foot pieces.

They are certainly a lot of fun. They are very tippy and can be used with a controller or freelined mixers. There is plenty of backbone further down. They make useful rods for floatfishing for carp and tench also. I have used them on buzzers for margin fishing away from snags. Had commons to 18, and at first it feels funny because the tip is so flexible, but once you bend into them they do have some power below.

I have also pressed them into service for fishing big maggot feeders on the Ribble, ledgering for mullet and bass (3 oz leads) and perch (2oz lead plus bait), and for chucking small plugs and toby's off the beach for bass and mackerel.

I really enjoy fishing and playing fish with them.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Fox do two versions in the aquos range i believe one is a 12 footer and the other an 11 footer supposed to be very good i have the fox aquos rods would be interested if anyone has a review on the floater version.

njb51

Reaction score
Take a look at these. Maybe just what you are looking for. Look around too, i've found them for less than ?100.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Use my Greys 1.75 Prodigy Barbel for all my floater work. Excellent action for casting and playing fish. Any 1.75 / 2Ib barbel rod will serve as they have a more tavon style action allowing the all rod to bend.

Have a Fox Floater but have never used it. Got it in a job lot of gear i bought. Must try it this spring.

B

Big Rik

it depends a lot on what style of surface fishing you're doing and the venues you tackle.

1.75 barbel rods and 10lb line will land most carp in relatively clear water, but move on to weedier venues with bigger carp and you'll need to step up to 2.25 to be able to apply more pressure.
I'd say that for effective surface fishing, then 2.25 is about the max you can use, anything more than that and you're putting too much pressure on a light hook and (usually) a light hookhold.