****URGENT***URGENT****

smudge

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make their own backleads as I'm fishing a match tomorrow and the venue is near impossable to catch without using backleads and I don't have any no way of getting any, can you make them and if so HOW? Please let me know as soon as, preferably before midnight tonight, cheers guys

Rotofryer

Reaction score
i used a weight and a piece of lead wire in france when stuck it worked ok. think about it something soft through a weight for a running lead for a captive there must be something you could use.
it realy aint that difficult to get yourself going

K

Keith Finn

Smudge,
got any curtain hooks?
The Swish type that look like this...@
yeah, I know it's the "at" in an email address but that's the best way I can describe it.
You can make some makeshift ones out of them, some silicone tubing and some small inline leads.
If you haven't looks like the old silver foil and stone trick will have to make do.
Wrap some foil over a suitable stone and make a long tail, hoop the tail over the line and let it slide down to where you want it to rest.
Heath Robinson but when you need one it does work!!!!
Keith

K

Keith Finn

THe silver foil trick also works if you forget your hangers/danglers/bobbins as well.
Keith
ps works as well if you want to bounce a stone of your mates head, cushions the blow by 50% lol

K

Keith Finn

You mean youv'e not tried the "sliced boilie in the butty trick" or if you are over nighting " The little bits of catfood smeared around the back of the bivvy trick".
Keith

Big Mart

Reaction score
Olivettes in larger sizes?

Ball leger weights?

Just try to think of anything else with a bit of weight and a hole in it thats relativeky aerodynamic.

B

Bill Cox

Paperclip and any small weight to hand. slides a treat. in fact you should always keep a couple of paperclips in your bag, 101 uses.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Tom,

There are three different sorts of back leads,

a flying one which stays on your line all the time and slides back up your line as you cast out. You could use a bullet lead or and ollivette for one of these as Mart suggestes.

of the two which you clip on and slide down your line after you cast there are two sorts, captive and non captive. A captive one come's off your line when you strike but is tied to your bank stick (someone correct me if I'm wron on that). Not sure what you could use for one of those.

A non captive one you clip onto your line after youve cast out and it stays on untill you take it off again after you've reeled in. You could make one of these by attachings a paperclip to a bomb as Bill suggests.

Where did you go anyway and how did you get on?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Get a pice of garden wire, the type with a green plastic covering on it.
Strip about half an inch of plastic from the wire, then get two pais of pliers to grip the exposed wire and the plastic with.

You then pull the plastic back about a quarter of an inch, so that it is hollow at one end.
The stripped wire will push into this nice and firm, once you have put it over the line.

B

Big Rik

so there's a warning for everybody to make sure your tackle box is fully equipped

Lee Sambrooks

Reaction score
"I'm fishing a match tomorrow and the venue is near impossable to catch without using backleads"

I realise that I'm of no help to you here and by now I'm sure you are well into your match, but upon your return, would you be so kind as to explain the above?

I'm a little intrigued!

If you are referring to not having 'flying backleads' then I can understand to a degree, however if you were referring to the non-captive variety as mentioned previously, then I'm not so sure?

If you were worried about your line (whatever you use) being off the bottom and possibly spooking the fish, then I feel that it is probably more of a confidence thing, as although flying backleads will help, they are not the 'cure-all' that some claim!

It would be just as easy, and in a lot of situations, a lot better to just fish with a slack line and allow it to sink as much as it will.

N

NottmDon

Big Mart I use olivettes myself and they work a treat,have done for a year or two now.Any match angler worth his salt should have a few olivettes in their kit.The streamlined tungsten variety are equal to,if not better than the standard flying backleads,pricewise theres not much difference.

smudge

Reaction score
Not too bad, I had 16lb of carp and bream but the match was won with only 30lb, not ideal fishing conditions but didn't do to bad for me.

I used the rock and tin foil method and it worked a treat, cheers guys