Rig suggestion's

Simon Beehre

Reaction score
Im totally new to carp fishing and in the Waikato River close to where i live there is a mammoth population of koi carp. Currently im using a float with a sliding d rig and home made boillies. The problem i have is most of the spots have a weed bank close to the shore and the river is fairly fast flowing.... i was wondering what the best type of rig to use would be as i dont think the float is the best way to go.

T

Terry D

I'd probably try a heavy strt-pegging rig if I could reach over the weed. Failing that, keep your floats at home and try legering.

B

Big Rik

Get rid of the float and keep the rod tips up in the air.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Simon. Agree with Rik keep rods up. With regards to rig i would fish either a Bolt or Run rig incorperating some form of lead release due to the weed.

Just had a look on net for whats in the river over 25 different species 10 introduced how many of the natives can be fished for also.

Waikato River

Simon Beehre

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I gave legering a go last night fishing off a warf on the river. I also used some fish pellets in an old milk container with holes punched in it. The fish were certainly attracted to it but none were taking the bait. The setup i had was a small sliding sinker which sat ontop of a swivel and the a trace with a knotless knot and hair rig... i was using baby corn for bait. It was annoying cause i could see the big carp but nothing was happening on my line :( Also i was wondering if i need to order some proper bait (boilies) off the net and maybe a few bits an pieces. Anyone know of an online shop which would ship to nz and or some suggestions on what bits to buy?

?

<?))))><.???`?. born to fish (callum) made to wor

big carp will go for worms. worm is a great bait it's natural and I've had carp to 17lbs on it.

and anyway I know lots of people from nz and most of them I know who have fished for carp tend to bow fish! lol glad you don't!

T

Terry D

Simon, Try Robertsons Fishing Tackle 238-242 Oxlow Lane Dagenham Essex RM10 7YX Tel 0208 517 1599 as they are linked with the Canadian Carp fishing club and ship items there. They do tackle through their website at http://www.onlinefishingshop.com.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Simon, have you tried greenlipped mussels for the carp?? Do you have pepperami in NZ?

I can't see boilies being an advantage for you over there in NZ.

S

sbeehre

I made up some boilies yesterday using this recipie

Equal parts corn meal, semolina and soy flour
Enough eggs to make it into a dough
Any bait flavor including Koolaide, cake flavors or carp bait flavors, just enough to be able to smell it in the dough
A little artificial sweetner like Equal
A few drops of food coloring
1/4 tablespoon of vegetable oil for each egg

I used Strawberry essence and Red Food colouring... I think i may have made them slightly big so im going to make some more at 1.5cm exactly. Ian why do you think boilies wouldnt be of any advantage over here?

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Simon,
I'm assuming that boilies won't have been used much.
You mention fish pellets as attractors , did you try them as hookbait?
If your carp can be caught on poor quality boilies then I feel that you'd do better in the long term on other baits.
Strawberry essence /red colouring plus a touch of sugar/curry powder would be a good alternative to plain corn.