Rank Bad Casting Advice

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I don't know who has spotted it but in this month's issue of the above magazine there is an article on how to cast the double haul.

In the article the AAPGAI instructor tells you to put your right foot in front of your left foot.

Cobblers!!

All the advice ever given from some of the worlds finest casters - Lefty Kreh downwards tell you to assume an open stance and put your left foot in front of your right.

Beginners often need to watch their back cast, not only to get it right but to avoid trees, bushes and people. You need a neck like an owl if you stand with right foot forward and you want to watch your back cast.

Avoid this advice like the plague is what I say.

R

It's a great pity but the AAPGAI may have a number of casting instructors that are teaching something that is technically wrong.

I was told by a very good caster today that the reason for the right foot forward is to execute the "short accurate double haul".

Can't understand why anyone would need to double haul for short distance casting anyway.

G

Ged

"A Flyfishers' Life" by Charles Ritz.
A champion flycaster. read this book some years ago, he advocates right foot forward.
Also never look behind on the back cast.
Never did take much notice of the advice, always feel more comfortable with left foot slightly forward as it makes it easier to check on the back cast.
Right foot forwards for the experts only (or exhibitionists).

K

Keith Orange

I had a casting section with an approved instructor at the Game Fair at Harewood a few years ago and he suggested I cast with the right foot forward.

I found it unnatural and I've never used the stance since the lesson.

R

The only reason I can find for right foot forward advice is to avoid the dreaded wrist twisting and casting out of plane that puts all sorts of curves into the line.

But the main thing is that it is unnatural.

With practice and as you become more proficient you can cast from any position, sitting, laying down even. I often cast backwards!