fishing sunday

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
went fishing sunday very bad day,caught one little roach,itwas very cold,buti enjoyed the day its a good day out.the water was about 2ftlower than normel i could not fish the margin.any help on how to fish when its cold.in the fishing books i get they tell you to do this do that but they have the time and the money to pre bait,i wish i had.you lads give more info than any books,tips on what bait to use,hooks,etc,iwill try any of your tips

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If you are after the smaller fish such as roach and perch on a stillwater, I would try punched bread as well as squatts instead of maggots Tony, with a small ball of liquidised bread, or a few free squats as an attractor.

If you are carping, you could try wondering about the lake looking for any signs of feeding fish, and take note of the times that you see them feeding or moveing about. Try close to snags, but be on top of your rod/rods incase of a take.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Tony, fair play to you mate, Sunday was pants but you still whent out, I had a little lie in! hehe.

It's gonna get a bit warmer soon so things should start getting better.
Bread punch is brilliant in these conditions, be patient and have faith. A small ball of liquidised bread will explode in the water, so don't over do it.
Casters are also very good at this time of year, they will sort out the quality roach.
My favourite is a very small blockend feeder (12 maggots tops) bronze and red, 1.7 botom, 18-20 hook, single or double maggot, you have to "play" with it to see what they want. If the carp move in step up immediately, 16 hook, 3.2 bottom.

Good luck.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Dig some worms when its not frozen solid and use chopped worm sparingly...guaranteed to catch any perch in the area

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

One of the lads had three good tench out last week in freezing coditions at about 2a.m in the morning on 10.ml boilies. so you never know what can happen.

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
thank you all for your tips,im off again on sunday and i will use your tips very wiseley.would you use a noumber 18 or 20 hook for roach.hail rain or snow,i still go fishing,the buze you get when your elastick pulls and pulls there is nothing like it.iv had some of them,but snap,may be some day ill get mu double,roll on sunday o im going to lower brord heath,nice place

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Tony if you're getting "snapped" by large carp you need to "up it".
Check out Tackle and Techniques, you'll find some good tips and safe rig set-ups for the pole.

Good luck.