Locating Pike in Rivers

castapprentice

Reaction score
I have just started to do some Piking on the Bristol Avon, lots of jacks and up to 10lb.....can anyone tell me where big Pike may be found in Jan-Mar.? do they move towards spawning areas ect around this time ?

P

Phil Heaton

If you are catching jacks and fish up to 10lb, you are in the right area. The bigger females attract the smaller males for sex or simply a snack, you just have to fish through the smaller ones and eventually a bigger one will take the bait.

L

Les Clark

Gary ,Another good starting point ,if you have any are moored up boats ,mainly the boats that are there for the winter ,you should find roach shoaled up around about.

C

Cakey

around here the pike give themselves away chasing food...........gotta be up early though

K

Keith Orange

If you're catching lots of fish up to 10lbs you're doing well. I don't think the larger pike will be far away. You've not caught any double figure ones because big fish are thin on the ground (or rather in the water !).

castapprentice

Reaction score
Great feedback thanks all, Les I fished on the Thames last week with 2 friends and we walked past a load of moored boats, some were moored for the winter....I am kicking myself now, we should have tried there.

T

The Piker

Gary,
Find the prey fish....

Find any slacks.....

Also any features such as bends,deep holes after shallow runs,trees or bushes which have fallen into the water.

But you seem to be doing ok any way,just stick with what you are doing and a biggie will turn up. .......

T.P................

J

jason fisher

as the piker says plus the down stream exits of lock cuts put in to by pass weirs.

C

Cakey

as Jason says they are shit hot round here when its fast flowing and the pike get up the lock bit.......

Ossie Osborne

Reaction score
My mate had 5 pike last weekend in 30 minutes, only up to about 7lbs, from the Nene.All caught on the same lure and from alongside moored-up boats.