deadbaiting

david nye

Reaction score
im new to deadbaiting and have been looking at hooking the fish to the two trebles. when im casting i sometimes lose the bait can i use a bit elastic thread or will it put the pike off the bait....dave

gilesy

Reaction score
hi dave,you mention sardines,well the best way to hook them is still frozen as they stay on the hooks much better than thawed,i dont have any problems with mackeral in fact they can be too tough at times.nige williams in todays times mentions the new pva solu,ties,which seem a good idea with soft baits

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Clear bait elastic from the sea fishing Dept. will tether the trace/treble to the tailroot and the pike won't care.

K

Keith Orange

Mackerel is a tough fish and they keep on the hooks fairly well.

As for sardines, they are a bit tricky. It helps if you bring them to the bank frozen.

The top hook (nearest the swivel and float or leger rig) in the trace should be inserted in the wrist of the tail about a quarter inch from the start of the fin. The skin and flesh is tough at this point. The bottom hook (the end hook on the trace) is lightly hooked in the side of the fish.

Wrapping elastic thread around the top hook and the wrist of the tail helps to keep the fish on the hook. I used to use elastic, but with more experience I no longer need it.

You can't cast vigorously with sardines. A gentle lob is better.

Reaction score
I favour sardines over mackerel as a bait anyway (IMHO pike like them more)Also I want the hooks to leave the bait as soon as i strike and this can occassionally be an issue with tough fish like mackerel (esp the tail root).

I take my sardines frozen, one hook in the tail root and the other into the back of the dorsal, no problems with short to medium casts on most rivers.

ADY

Reaction score
If all else fails you could buy a pkt of bait clips, i think fox make them?.

J

jason fisher

sardines are a bugger to keep on the hooks but i'd take a mackerel tail any day, theyve outfished sardine by more than 10-1 anyway

C

Chris Bishop

Sardines are easy. Forget the thread etc, the beauty is you don't miss many fish on them becuause they come off easy.

For easy hooking, scrape a scale off near the tail on the lateral line first. They have tough scales and pushing through them can burst the flesh.

Insert the hook carefully and you'll feel it snick into the backbone. Helps if you use sharp, sensible sized hooks rather than a couple of size eights.

E

EC

Nige Williams on tight lines tonight was recommending pva ties to a caller with exactly the same question Dave.

Steven Boram

Reaction score
best idea i,ve seen is to make a loop of line with mono ,pierce the tail end of the sardine with a baiting needle and pull the loop through and loop over the bait and hang this on the bait clips. you can hook the bait as normal all the weight of the cast goes on loop. this can aiso be done when lightly skin hooking baits for distance fishing like eel sections and mackeral

C

Chris Bishop

Could never get on with this, it's easy to tangle unless you freeline so the bait's the main weight, which isn't much use for most fishing at any distance.

If it lands wrong, you get a kinked trace or another tangle.

Mono stretches, the people who invented this used to use dacron for the loops.

Sardines will stay on for a fair old chuck if you hook them on frozen.

I use them for fishing rivers and you can get four or five casts out of them if you're careful.

Steven Boram

Reaction score
chris, going on to the frozen bait theory ,have you ever used the plumbing blast freezer sprays ? i think someone did market the idea a few years back .do you think these mask the bait ? good idea for soft baits but i,m not confident on it! any experiance of it?

C

Chris Bishop

I've seen it but why bother - frozen baits stay on pretty well by themselves if you hook them on right.

If they're coming off try scraping the scale off near the tail and using bigger hooks, so it goes through the backbone and comes out the other side.

I use two size 4 round-bends with six or eight inch baits, rarely have a problem.