Waited 26 years for this

S

Spoddy

No not getting that monster in the net,but nearly as exiting.

We have decided to sell our house and buy a fishery,in france probably,as fisheries in the uk are really expensive.

Anyone here had the same idea,or perhaps would like to join in this venture.

If so get in touch.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good luck Spoody.

My business partner and I seriously looked into it last year, as you say, UK fisheries are very expensive.
You will get much more in France for your money.
Unfortunatly they won't let me leave the country, my family that is, so good luck to you.
Let us know how you get on, a French carp fish-in me thinks.

;-]

S

Spoddy

Thanks for that Steve.

I will let you know hows things go,and if all goes well an invitation will be posted here for a fish-in.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm not going to pour too much cold water on the idea because I too would love to live in France, just because I do like it there.

However, if you're thinking of running a business look into everything. How are you going to sell it, what is advertising going to cost, have you spoken to anyone else who's done it. Don't think that you'll get more time fishing because A) you won't have the time and B) you won't want to fish your own water anyway after the first week or two, it gets boring.

If you still decide to go ahead then bon chance, mon ami, et bon voyage.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Good luck to ya spoddy id love to do it.

Search the forum think was a thread about this not long ago cant for the life of me remember what it was called though.

S

Spoddy

We were not planning to live in France,only to buy and run from the uk,not sure if that is possible yet.

Main advertising would be done here.

Don't think i would ever get bored with fishing my own lake.

Would prefer to buy in this country,but an average price for a fishery with no building land starts from ?150,000.

In france a 2.5 acre lake with possibility to build starts from ?48,000.

If i could find three more people who were interested in part owning their own fishery,buying in the uk would be possible.

L

little Stu!

depends where you're based in the UK Spoddy and where you're looking at setting one up?

I must say though, I don't think much creative thinking has been applied to buying a uk fishery with no building land starting at 150k if you haven't considered starting one from scratch yourself.

What about investigating into cheap land and renting a couple of JCB's?

imagine your're own design?

Come on - open your mind a little?

S

Spoddy

Nice idea Stu but land in the UK was the first thing i looked at.

Cheap land is cheap for a reason,its sold with no chance of ever having planning permission granted on it.

But you have given me an idea.

I have an old friend who i used to shoot for,owns a farm in worcester.

Will get down there tomorrow and put the idea to him.

Thanks.

W

Wolfman Woody

In this country it's not so much the cost of buying spare land or digging a hole in it. It's the cost of dumping the stuff you take out of the hole. Unless you can spread on surrounding land you'll need a small fortune.

I did look into it 8 years ago. Frightening, truly frightening.

L

little Stu!

Open even further Spoddy, firstly why do you wanna build on it? get a porta cabin and start from there if needs must. But why not purchase equestrian land with a bungalow and grow the lot!

still get the chance to design your own lake etc.

L

little Stu!

surely you can sell most of what you take out anyway, especially to some of the soil grading companies?

S

Spoddy

Planning permission is needed not just to build on,its also needed for creating a fishery.
Not really desperate for land with building permission,a porta cabin would be ok.

As for the equestrian land
Haven't got that much money Stu,names spoddy not branson.

Drainage costs a fortune too,and is a real headache as your run off water is guaranteed to be onto someone else's land.

Don't think starting from scratch is an option for me unless some more investors get involved.

Woody did you look into Drainage?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi again Spoddy,
The trouble with starting from scratch is how long will it take for the lake to mature and therefore be appealing to anglers. You need cash coming in, if no one is fishing it nothing is coming in, the bank/investers wont like that.
We were looking at one In Somerset ?850k, 3 chalets and loads of planning permision granted. It meant two families selling two homes and putting everything into it, tooooo scary.

alan

Reaction score
i know of a farm that was planning a fishery, but didnt know how to. they offered my father in law the chance to plan, set it up, and run it, while the farm paid for the lot.

if you want i can try to find out if they are still thinking about it and pass their details on to you.

B

Bully

If you go to France - build a time plan, then double it.

Also, make sure you get into the local community and be very, very humble and NEVER question their processes, even if they seem ridiculous.

Finally, learn French. You will not be able to rely on an interpreter as they will not be 100% on your side, especially if they are local.

Apart from that, simple really.

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

its a dream for nearly all serious carp anglers !
to sell up and do one to some continent where the weather is hotter and carp boom to colossal size compared to there British cousins but not every carper out there can afford it.so those who can sell up and move abroad and say up yours to blare and his mate fatty i wish the best cos id be right there along side them. all i can say is take your time in choosing the right property put lots of grunt and BLOOD into it and you should have a class venue in say three to four years time.do some home work into advertising in the EU and you can sit back and watch anglers from all over flood in. but be warned it takes money time and effort for this to happen but if your prepared then do it and do it as soon as you can once more GOOD LOOK MATEY.

S

Spoddy

Thanks guys for all the input here.

Loads of ideas to think about.

Alan if you could get those details ide be chuffed.