A case for cormorants?

bleak

Reaction score
There is a lake near me(france) of about ten acres, the water plants have been ravaged by coypu,and the only fishing I have seen done there in the past ten years is the locals catching pike and zander which are always taken away to be eaten. What is left is a huge amount of carp and silver fish, all remain very small eccept for the local 'crucians'which grow to good size. When I saw the first comorants arriving I wasn't happy.However could this cull actually thin the population and help the fish to grow bigger.?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
When you titled the thread "A case for cormorants?" I thought you were looking for a glass case to mount a dead one or two in! :D

To answer your question, all depends on how many cormorants you get. A couple, three maybe - yes it could thin soem of the small fish out and allow other to grow bigger. One hundred and sixty four nesting, breeding pairs, NO - total decimation.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
When you titled the thread "A case for cormorants?" I thought you were looking for a glass case to mount a dead one or two in! :D

To answer your question, all depends on how many cormorants you get. A couple, three maybe - yes it could thin soem of the small fish out and allow other to grow bigger. One hundred and sixty four nesting, breeding pairs, NO - total decimation.

That's a very precice number Jeff:D

chav professor

Reaction score
Hell of a lot worse than otters. They can move from one water to another and decimate small fish stocks. probably more sgnificant, I have a theory that predation by both otters and comorants changes the behaviour of the fish. there are sections on our river where fish used to be seen basking in open water - they are now absent.

you can find them, but only where there is adequate tree canopy cover presumably to avoid comorants.

Must make spawning on shallow gravel nearly suicidal..............

mol

Reaction score
A good friend of mine has fished the Seine for a long while. Before the comorants arrived a match would be won with 30kg+ of silvers, the silvers have almost disappeared now and been replaced by bream. Maybe the comorants are to blame or maybe it's just the changing ecology of the river?

Finding good sized silvers does seem to be a problem on alot of lakes around me, it's either hundreds of small fish or massive bream shoals.

thx1138

Reaction score
But Darwen wasnt of the 20th/21st Century. Neither did he have a massive destruction of sea fish stocks to contend with in his thinking.

True. Although his thinking was formed during the swing of the industrial revolution, a time when our rivers were in massive decline due to pollution. And there was nowhere for the fish to hide.

The bad one

Reaction score
I really think you should read Darwin before you misrepresent him. tut tut!
The Origins of Species is about Evolution not Adaption.
Evolution takes many thousands of years, whereas, Adaption can happen in tens.
And I don't think his theory, observed and developed in the Galapagos Islands was done against the backdrop of any industrialisation whatsoever on the Islands.

The nearest to any industrialisation was the slaughter of the the Giant Tortoises on several of the islands, which came after Darwin's visit by mainly British sailors for food :eek: