eel fishing in the closed season

S

Steve Wyatt 2

Does the rule still stand that you can fish for eels on rivers during the closed season? I was told that If your fishing the straight lead with worms then It is legal?

fishy pete

Reaction score
don't know about nowadays Steve but in pre e.a. days I'm sure you could fish in certain water board catchment areas with a hook above a certain gape size, and a lead above a certain weight,with worms?
don't know about for eels though,i thought it was trout?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The only form of eel fishing allowed in the close season was by a method known as "Babbing", "Bobbing" or "Totting"

This meant threading a worm up a length of coarse worsted yarn. When the eel grabbed the worm it was lifted out of the water quickly, the eel's teeth becoming entangled in the thread.

I think this art has been lost many years ago.

P

paul williams 2

No Ron.....the old Severn/Trent board allowed river fishing for eel as did the Wye (Welsh water) with worms and i believe small deadbaits.

As far as i'm aware local bylaws apply even now?.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

So mate, if I go down the Trent this coming spring and fish with worms on my hook, is this OK?

And as I release a ten pound barbel and an EA bailiff appears and takes my name for fishing out of season, is it OK to say I am fishing for eels and I caught the barbel by mistake?

Reaction score
I'm sure the BAA held a closed season eel match a couple of years ago to make some point or other...It was in the AT

Wish they wouldn't...

W

Wolfman Woody

It's a simple matter of contacting your local Environemnt Agency Fisheries Department and asking them. Try this number: 08708 506 506 as a first port of call.

The answer may be different depending on area.

mr chubblybarbel

Reaction score
hi,
in the late 60s, early 70s, i vaguely remember that the general consensus was that you could indeed fish for 'eels only'during the close season.Maybe it was to do with the catagorisation of the eel, i.e. salt or fresh water fish?, this may have led to a misunderstanding or misconception of rules with regards the close season on the eel. i would imagine that it would have been up to the area controlling water company in them times (pre EA). What puzzles me is, WHY would you want to do this? i suspect you may be looking for a loop hole to enable you to fish? I wouldnt bother bud,just accept that the close season means exactly that, CLOSED.You want eels, then fish a local still water or salt water creek or estuary(rules may apply to the latter, check with EA). New 'eel only' season, march 15 to june 16!!??

Ron,
I too used to go eel'bobbing', i used to walk the local 'dykes'(drains), lowering bait(lob worms) into thier holes in bottom of dyke. They took some hauling out, even with heavy rod and 20+line.I used to do this during the winter.Also used to use an eel 'shear'(a barbed, wide tined trident) attached to a 12'bamboo cane(outlawed these days)stabbing the dyke bottom 12" behind thier lair (hole) entrance normally got them, providing one was in residence.I point out, that catching eels this way was purely for food and NOT for sport. The good old days eh!!!
Regards. Chubbly

ps. happy new year.

Beecy

Reaction score
I may have dreamt this, but I seem to remember reading on a license something like this:-

bait fishing for eels/flatfish only is allowed but the angler should cease fishing if coarse fish are regularly being hooked

Wyatty

Reaction score
I have decided that I will fish for eels with a lob-worm this coming close season on my local rivers.

Firstly believe I'm not breaking the law, and secondly, In doing so I will be moving from peg to peg collecting old beer cans(rodents get stuck In them)old discarded coils of line (birds die In it)and bank clearing(not enough Is done of it)!

Controversial maybe? but I will be doing more good than harm.And maybe I wont catch that elusive eel,but I will come home with a large black bag full of discarded tackle etc,and If I see the local Bailiff (unlikely)I will explain why I have the right to be on the bank having paid my Licence fee,and then ask the question, If there were more Bailiffs then maybe there would be more fines for the licence 'dodgers' and then possibly we might have a bit of road stone for some of the river car parks etc.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Just be careful the bailiff doesn't think your actions are aimed at the salmon Wyatty!
There's a few that think like you on the ribble ...........
Personally I wish they would leave it alone until 16th june and then fish legally.

S

sash

Well I think you deserve the biggest fine possible then along with all the license dodgers, other out of season 'anglers' and fish taking immigrants.

PS Not wise declaring what you are doing on a public forum either seeing as I know at least 2 EA baliffs do look in from time to time!