Big Tench - I don't know of

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have tench fished since a boy. All my big ones, that is fish over 7lbs have come from Oxfordshire gravel pits.

In Yorkshire, Notts and indeed the fens a big one is still a 5 pounder, just as it was 40 years ago. And as for estate lakes, well my friend John spent 35 years fishing Notts estate lakes and his best one was only 5lbs 14oz.

B

Bob Watson

I had one of 6lb from the local bricky last season. They go bigger than that and the water also holds some big Crucians. Other than that I only know of one other local water (Charltons pond) that contains big Tench, the commercials excepted.

I'll have to get round to putting some pics in the gallery.

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

where can i get a copy from as im a tench fan and can do with some help it may just bring me some!

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

only ever had one tench in double figures from a river in Yorkshire and i know of some more spots along the stretch that hold them but cant catch them.

alan strickland

Reaction score
I know of 1 place in south Cumbria that has thrown up the odd double in the past and there`s a lake near Carlsle that produced a 9lb fish in 2004,think you would struggle to get much above 6lb any further north but i could be wrong,a Scottish double would be a real fish of a lifetime.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Graham, I think it's fair to say that reservoirs (represented by Hollowell and Sywell), get as much exposure in the book as do gravel pits.

B

Bob Watson

Love the Chub record on there Dave. There's a young girl hooked for life!

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Ron, I'm sure you need to talk to Tim 'gaylord' Ridge about Yorkie Tench as he has spent some time trying to catch a genuine Yorkshire 8. Something, if my fading memory serves me, he achieved as I remember seeing his Gargoyle like fizzog leering out from behind a fine Tinca on the front of a Tenchfisher Magazine.

Ps. Did I ever mention the story about how his Southern girlfriend beat him up?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Ron, on the DVSG site, Tim has an 8lb 6oz tench from an East Yorks lake, i've a feeling this is one of Hull & District's waters, possible double figure tench therein.

J

jason fisher

a bloke did a 10lb and couple of ounces from baileys years ago.

i once saw a green carp with red eyes in an oxfordshire pond, it must have been a carp because tench dont get that big.

Tim Ridge 2

Reaction score
Hi there fishing gimp (it could only possibly be Ruggles) you balding southern tosspot.
I just noticed this thread (and no it hasn't taken me a fortnight to master the English Language). Hows your dose these days? I trust you have been for some medical advise since the last time I set eyes on your horrible mug!
Still It's a relief to hear from you, I thought you had died or something worse like moved to Essex!

Best wishes
Tim

C

Chub King

I spoke to a chap in November who had caught a 'nine' from a Kent water - he claimed to have caught a 12-8 from a private Yorkshire estate lake. I have no reason to disbelieve him as he's a Sparsholt graduate (I think) and works in fisheries consultation.
He didn't tell me where from though (and of course I asked, because I nearly fell off my seat when he told me that was his pb!).

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Dear Gaylord Ridge, always a delight to hear from such a fine example of the Northern Nonce. So glad to hear you have finally mastered the mother tongue; a strange practice from the Goole area.

Yes my 'dose' has cleared to the satisfaction of my medic and has provided me with a new chat up line when speaking to women North of Watford; 'Do you like bacon? Well suck this it's cured'

Have not moved to Essex as the house prices are too high and I have problems comprehending the local Dialect as perfected by chairman Alf!

Also contrary to popular belief(wishes) I have not yet shuffled off this mortal coil.
As to being a a balding southern tosspot I refute the balding part as I still have a fine full head of hair!!! By the way has your mange cleared up?

Finally I think you should come clean and confess to this site why and how your diminutive Southern girlfriend beat the living daylights out of you!

Tim Ridge 2

Reaction score
Sorry Mark my memory fails me but I do seem to remember it had something to do with a blond, a bait rocket and a feather duster.
Mark, now I know you are full of it..
none of the women north of watford would ever entertain you or your 'pig in a blanket'

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Tim a delight(dubious as always) to hear from you. Are you going senile because I would certainly remember the details of a blond, a bait rocket,and a feather duster.

As to being full of it(whatever 'it' is) I can assure you I found out the true meaning of the term Blackpool Pleasure Beach when I used to live nearby and all the Girls I pulled had Northern Accents. I will grant you that if you can't pull in Blackpool on a saturday night perhaps it would be best to give up but rest assured my 'Pig in a blanket' performed sterling work for North/south relations.

Anyway enough of this bragado, give me a call sometime and I can abuse you on a more personal basis.