Power Pro

A

Andrew Thomas 1

I'm after some 50lb Power Pro,for lightish lure fishing, spotted 300 yards for ?23 on eBay. Is this reasonable? Should I be looking anywhere else?

L

levelspiker

dave Lumb sells the genuine stuff at a good price,check his site out mate.
as is said above,watch out for counterfeit stuff.

C

Chris Bishop

Can't see it myself. Mine all came from eBay, I've never managed to bust on a fish with it.

S

stevepike

ive never had a problem from e bay either.
i bought my last three lots of power pro from there.
i just make sure the seller is reliable and has good feedback.

A

Andrew Thomas 1

Well,I've put my money into eBay after a reassuring reply from the seller.

How about knotting Power Pro? I can tie a grinner.

S

stevepike

i use the grinner knot.
but i pass the braid through the swivel eye twice.

C

Chris Bishop

Twice through grinner, snug it down carefully.

Powerpro's the best braid I've used, beats Fireline into a cocked hat, twice as strong for same dia and it doesn't seem to go furry.

The ones to avoid are the flat profile lines like Whiplash. Fine for using on a multiplier, hopeless for a fixed spool as you get wind knots with the slightest amount of line twist.

The 50's fine for smaller lures like spoons etc. I use it for some bait fishing like river stuff but would go up to 65 for bigger lures, fishing big baits etc.

I've had unexplained breaks on fish with both Whiplash and Fireline.

Powerpro nil problemo touch wood.

A

Andrew Thomas 1

Power Pro arrived today, looks kosher. It's mobile river lure work I'll be using it for Chris: spoons, spinnerbaits, smallish crankbaits etc. Replacing 15lb mono.

Thanks for all the advice.

BIG JIM

Reaction score
Dam

I have just been sold miles of whiplash from my tackle shop. They told me its the best you can buy. They also sold me the reel at the same time ... a fixed spool.

C

Chris Bishop

Depends on BS, I used the 30 for bait fishing, could cast miles once I got it snugged down on the reel but the slightest bit of twist on the way in meant a tangle next cast and I chucked it for good after busting on a not particularly massive fish.

I've got the 65 on a rod I use for trolling *strictly where permitted* and haven't broke off on that.

I can't fault Powerpro, never had a problem with either the 50 for pencil float/half mack or lives on the river, 65 is great for pits with a 3oz lead and bigger bait.

gilesy

Reaction score
probably a simple answer to this ! just got 300 yards of 50ld power pro,want to put it on two reels,how do i know when im half way down the spool ?

S

sash

Shakespeare line counter, about ?7. The braid will cut a groove in it though if you put too much pressure on it so clip the counter on to the rod above the wet sponge/rag you wind through (if that's how you put braid on of course!).