Ready Made Rigs

Neil Melton

Reaction score
This is probably a bit of a daft question...but here goes!

I'm about to try pole fishing for the first time tomorrow. Got a pole, have managed to elasticate it and got a few ready-made rigs to have a go with. Having checked the packets, the length of these rigs range from 3 metres to 5 metres in length. The ponds I fish range from 3 to 6 feet in depth, so these rigs are way too long.

My question is, do you cut the rigs down to the size according to the water you fish with them?

Apologies for the question...just didn't want to ruin a rig just through ignorance!

Smokedodger

Reaction score
If you're sure of the depth then yes, cut them down, you want to be leaving about 12 to 18 inches from pole tip to float.(Plumb up first before you cut them down)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Ditto - I discovered the same. Bought a pole last week and fished with it on Wednesday.

Ready made rigs are fine except first ship out, the rig ended up in a tree. Must be the rig's fault, can't be me.

Eventually worked some of it out and caught a few small carp. Can't wait to go out again, I've tied some rigs myself so shouldn't have any tree problems now!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Niel,
Welcome to the wonderful world of pole fishing.

Rigs - ready made rigs are pretty good to start with, but you will soon find that making your own is a lot more fun, and you don't have to rely on someones else's knots.

Ready mades usually come in 3m or 5m lengths to suit the top 3's or top 5's of most poles, so they do need to be cut to suit the depth that you are fishing. You can, if needed, always add on extra line to the rig if you fish somewhere else that is deeper. A simple loop to loop addition is all you need to use.

When you ship out do it very slowly to start with and keep the pole close to the surface. Don't try to copy more experienced anglers but take it slow and easy.

Hope this helps.

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Well, I started off really well...got set up, shipped out and spent then next 4 hours catching carp to about 4lb and a small perch.
Then....DISASTER!!
When climbing back down the bank to my peg, managed to get my foot caught on a metal peg and down I went...3rd section of pole broken and new all weather suit ripped...not to mention the wet legs I got!! Oh...and to top it off..I'm typing this then off to casualty...suspected broken 3rd finger injured in the fall!!!

Ah well.....the fish were good to catch!!

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Exactly what I said as I took a nosedive and an early bath!!

Worst thing was...the lake was full as a match was on !

nicky

Reaction score
bad luck these things are sent to try us, bet it was funny though for the other memebers on the lake

Neil Melton

Reaction score
Well finger has a hairline fracture, so only thing I've got to do is rest it. No fishing for a couple of weeks (not happy about that). Pole is fixable and I've ordered a replacement top 3 kit for it. So its not too bad.

And yes, I bet it was funny to watch on the other side of the pond !!

nicky

Reaction score
jokes aside it's not funny breaking new tackle, i recently went fishing with my new avon rod i thought to myself i'll take the strong plastic tube it came in as i definately won't break it then.
unfortunately a couple of teenagers asked could they watch me fishing and proceeded to sit on my rod tube, when i asked them what the hell made then sit on my rod tube they proceeded to say sorry mr we thought it was a pipe sticking out of the ground, surfice to say they had snapped the float fishing top section inside, sods law but if i hadn't of taken the protective tube they wouldn't have sat on it gutting or what.