fly fishing for pike (help)

C

cojo

i'm thinking of trying my hand fly fishing for pike this year can anyone give me a few pointers in way of tackle to go for i haven't fly fished for about 12 years or so i'll sure my casting will be a bit rusty.i found a kit on www.lureshack.com for around ?130 by bob church which would get me started does anyone use this rod if so are you happy with it. for most of my fly piking i'll be fishing at chew valley from boat but i would hope to get away with using it locally for a bit of bass fishing if i'm lucky in the summer.
i would be very gratful for any advice.

L

levelspiker

what`s the aftm rating on the bob church model?
I use a fox xs pike fly rod,which is rated at aftm 10.I use a 30lb bs amnesia tippet with a 25kg supatress trace on the end.
the fly lines that i use are a lead core fast sink shooting head for deeper water,and a 10 rated floating or slow sink line for the shallows.
I always play my fish hard,even with fly tackle(hence the 30lb amnesia).a short fight and a very short time out of the water = a pike that will swim off strongly and survive with no lasting effects on its` wellbeing.
you might well meet me at chew lake.
I usually start early may,after the pike have had time to recover from spawning,and fish until late june,or when the weather gets hot(which ever comes first).
once the high summer arrives and the oxygen levels in the water drop,i think that pike in any water should be left alone until the autumn when the water cools and oxygen levels rise again.
as for the best areas, have fun finding them!it`s also advisable to "conveniently" forget to put the areas that you had success on the catch return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i always unhook the fish in the water(inside net if its a biggun worth weighing).leave pike in submerged net whilst getting unhooking mat,weighsling,scales and camera ready.weighing and photos can be done in a 90 seconds or less.
personally,i have more enjoyment in the spring using a fly rod,than i do in the autumn bait\lure fishing.for the simple reason that,if you catch a good fish,you don`t get surrounded by other boats that muscle in on the action,as normally,there are hardly any other people within sight of you!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
You could try this:

"Following the success of last years event Sportfish will be holding another "Pike on a Fly" day at Sportfish Reading on Saturday 21st January 06. As before, entry is free and there will be a variety of things of interest to anyone who is already a pike fly fisher or would like some help and advice to get started.

Sportfish Reading is close to junction 12 on the M4 at Theale west of Reading. There is a map on the Sportfish website www.sportfish.co.uk or please telephone Allan Shephard on 0118 9303860 for further details."

or have a look at www.pikeflyfishing.co.uk

Colin

C

cojo

Thanks for your help chaps, i think the bob church rod is 10/12 as much as i'd like a go ive got to be realistic and see how much i will get up to chew and use it, all though chew isn't too far (hour and a half drive) the lure of other spieces might see me not using it a great deal. i have done a couple of boat day piking in the autumn i know what you mean by surrounding you its like the armarda, but still execllent fun day out though,roll on october....