HOW TO MARK THE DISTANCE YOU CAST ON THE LINE

nicky

Reaction score
Whats the best way to mark the distance on the line when casting to a certain spot particualry with the feeder, this is when you dont want to use the line clip because of the risk of a large fish taking your bait.

If you use a stop knot just in front of your reel how the hell do you get it off without damaging the line.

i've tried using permanent markers but it's not visible enough,

i've also tried tipex but that doesn't work well either

any tips of the trade please

Beecy

Reaction score
instead of a stop knot with line you could try a piece of fine pole elastic

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Make one or two sliding stop knots.
Then just slide them off when you have finished the session.
Also wrap a large diameter elastic band around the line on your spool.

nicky

Reaction score
Baz thats a long way to slide the stop knot to get it off isn't it, don't you find it potchy.
Do you tie two stop knots to stop them slipping?

How does the elastic band trick work i've heard of it but never really understood the mechanics of it, does it then act like the line clip so you can accurately cast to the same distance and if so does it then allow your drag to work,

sorry about all the questions but i'm a lone fisherman and i've had to work everything out for myself it's just one of them things that i've never quite worked out.

I had an unexpected carp take a single maggot last summer whilst bream fishing and had the line clip on, i didn't want to loose the fish so before i knew it i was waist high in water about 15ft out trying to give the fish line whilst i fumbled with the line clip to realise it, good job it was warm weather thats all i can say

andy robinson

Reaction score
try using insultion tape,cut a 2 inch piece, then fold it over the line ,run your finger nail over it, then trim it down as close to the line as possible.i use a half inch yellow tape ,easy to put on and easy to take off,one roll will probably last forever.

nicky

Reaction score
that sounds a good idea i'll have to try that, still intrested in this elastic band trick though as my accuracy isn't that great when feeder fishing

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Nicky.
If you used two sliding stop knots it would show up more if one of them slipped or moved position. Number 4 pole elastic is supposed to be the best to use.

All you do with the elastic band is to cast out to where you want to be, and then slip the elastic band over your line on the spool, then reel in over the elastic band.

When casting back out, it will stop once it reaches the band.
If you get a take, your line will pull out from underneath it, and give you time to take it off when a fish is running.

Beecy

Reaction score
nicky, if you use pole elastic for the knot you can cut it off easily because it will strech enough to get a knife under the knot