length between hook and swivel for bolt rigging

nicky

Reaction score
I know this is open to debate but what is roughly the right length to have between your hook and you swivel when tying your own hair rigs for use with a bolt rig.

You would think that this would be the easiest thing to get info on but i've tralled the internet looking for a rough idea and everybody gives the length of the hair itself but not what i want to know.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I usually go for around a ten inch hooklength Nicky.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

In a lake bed that has 2 feet of soft silt?????

Bit more info on the lake might help Nicky.

I'm sure then Rik/Frothy will help you out.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Yep that's right Wol, but I am not as knowledgeable as some of the lads on here, concerning carp rigs.

B

Big Rik

anywhere between 2" and 2'

as usual there isn't an easy answer.

F

Frothey

you cant be definative about the hair length either!

if you can use a couple of rods use one long hooklength, one short and go from there.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I have fished two waters in the past that are very silty, both with the same 10" hooklength.
I did well on one of them, my thinking was that the carp would rootle about in the bottom layers, my thinking never went further than that really as most of the waters that I fish have quite firm bottoms. I only ever caught one carp on the other silty water (30lb) but it was good for tench. I should have experimented more.

C

Cakey

you shouldnt be bolt rigging they are death rigs ,you must be semi fixed to give the fish a chance in case of line breakage

B

Big Rik

semi fixed is a bolt rig, so are most running rigs.

you shouldn't have fixed lead rigs, maybe that's what you meant Cakester.

nicky

Reaction score
The pond i will be fishing has a muddy bottom, not sure how deep the mud is, i have stood in the edge and didn't find that you sink too much.

I have already knocked a couple of rigs up which have a length of 12", but they did look a bit long to me, but then i'm not really sure, I used the knotless not for the hook, and a palomer knot to attach the braid to the swivel, hope this helps

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Safety clips don't always work Nicky, unless you use them properly.
Hopefully, one of the more expierienced lads can explain it to you.

B

Big Rik

So have you tried them Nicky, do they work?
if not, why is it the rig?

could be the bait.

could be you're not fishing in the right place.

could be you're too noisy on the bank.

could be a hundred other reasons.

nicky

Reaction score
No I haven't used them yet, I'm going night fishing tomorrow.

The pond that i'm going to is hardly ever fished, especially by dedicated carp anglers, you occassionly get the odd kid there but I've usually got the place to myself, Great.

I've hooked about 5 carp there in the summer whilst float fishing for roach, unfortunately I lost them all due to light hooklinks, Did manage to land a 3.5lb fantailed goldfish though, I also heard a rumour in the local takle shop that some bloke caught a brace of 6lb chub, now wouldn't that be nice.

The baits i were planning on using were either worms, or pop up scopex boilies, I thought the worms might be a better choice as they have probably never seen a boiley, I also have some maize, what do you think.

By the way what have you got to do with the safety clips to ensure they work correctly

L

Les Clark

Nicky ,you don`t say how big this pond is or how big the carp go to ,on what info you have given so far it is hard to advise you .

F

Frothey

i'd go with the maize and worms meself...lots of chopped worms, nice big lob over the top.

nicky

Reaction score
I'd say it was 3/4 the size of a football field, very shallow for the most only 2ft with the deepest areas about for or five ft.

nice size island at the one end with a narrow gulley between the island and the banking.

i saw one of the carp i hooked on the float and it was probably, 8-10lb, dont know what else is in there, dont know how the fish even got in there as it not owned by any clubs, it's in the middle of a new barrat style housing estate where people walk there dogs.

B

Bob Watson

Nicky, one thing I do with the safety clip to ease my mind a bit about tethered fish is to just push the tail rubber over the clip so the lead frees itself with the minimum of effort. You can sometimes (more often than not) lose the lead on the cast if the clip/tail rubber are loose enough. In this case just tie the lead eye to the swivel eye protruding from the clip with PVA before casting.

nicky

Reaction score
I night fished this last week and missed one run on the carp rod with half a slice of bread on the hook, I've had another look and decided it's bigger than i first estimated it's probably 1 and 3/4 the size of a football pitch.
I've now heard that someone also caught a 5lb tench in there so that makes it a bit more interesting, as i didn't think there were any tench in there.
As for the composition of the lake bed i'd say theres an inch of mud covered in dead leaves and bits of decaying bushes as this is what my lead was covered in on the retrieve.
I used bunches of worms on the hook for the first few hours but i kept getting little bleeps on the alarm, and worms were getting pinched i think by the roach.
I dont think the run on the bread was carp either as the alarm went off for a few seconds whilst the bobbin was lifted but then stopped, no line was pulled off the reel but when i shone a light on the rod tip it was bouncing around like a good un, struck but nothing, I used a 10" hook length