new reel

C

christian tyroll

im fine with winding on all the line etc i just cant remember how to tie the line on the spool to start with, i dont want to just kknot it incase im fishing at long distance and get a fish and get down to th knot!
any help on how to tie it on would be great!

cheers
christian

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Put a piece of insulating tape over the end of the line.
This way you will see when you are comeing to the end.
What I usually do is to tie a small loop, then thread the line through the loop and wind a couple of wraps on before winding with the handle.
But like I say, a piece of tape will give you good warning.

C

christian tyroll

cheers baz have just done it, well sort of.
i managed to end up with a few loops of line in it so i started taking line off to re do it.

and i managed to get in an almighty tangle and really bu**er it up. this was the worst tangle ive ever seen. my only option was to cut the line and i have tied the remander of the line to the line on the spool using a water knot!

i have given the line a good tug and am satified with its strengh, is it that i have done this or should i fork out another fiver for a new spool of line?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A knot will allways be a weak point Christian (so they say) but if the knot you tied is reliable when you use it for fishing, you should be okay.

When I have done this myself in the past, when the knot in the reel is near enough to the top of the spool, I then cut it off, and use it for hooklengths.

Beecy

Reaction score
are you putting the line on by yourself christian?

I always get our lass to hold the spool of line on a pencil and apply a bit of pressure so the line goes on nice and tight.

also,instead of just holding the reel I always put the reel on a rod butt - dont know if this actualy does any good though! its just how I have always done it.

C

christian tyroll

baz i thought about that but i was still 30 metres or so i think from the end so i decided against it!

Beecy thats exactly what i did put it on a rod butt and got my sister to hold it.
she was holding in her fingers though and concontrating more on holby city, consqeuntly (excuse the spelling) every so often ending up not holding the line in with the rod and reel causing it to tangle!

(i no it probably wasnt my sisters fault but its easier to blame someone else).

anyway ive made a pigs ear of it.........

Beecy

Reaction score
yes it was her fault!, you cant get good help these days.

if in doubt, blame someone else, thats my motto