Great Article

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Hey all you people, there's not just barbel in the Trent.

These are belting perch in anybodies book.

If you see fry scattering in the margins of the river, you know what to do. I have seen it often and to be quite frank have been too lazy to see what was causing it.

R

And it's nice to see you wearing a proper fishing hat Ian.

Congratulations.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Well said Ron and a very good article from Ian.
Earlier in the season i was fishing the upper trent admitedly for barbel and a local chap came round and mentioned about the big perch on the stretch, well having a float rod in the quiver i decided to have a go for them and had a fantastic day float fishing catching five perch upto 2lb and numerous roach and chublets.
I love catching barbel but it was great to explore the river with a floatrod and have done the same on many occasions this season something that i'd not done for a long time.
All in all im certainly enjoying my fishing a whole lot more and without the barbel blinkers maybe you could too.
More articles of this nature please.
Cheers,
Steve.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ian, nice article, shame about the hat though ;-)

Tim "stole a couple of hours on the way to a meeting?"

Yeah, right, heard that one before - never used it though, hhhhhmmm.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

It seems that big perch are now as widespread as they have been for some years.There are some good ones in my local canal which I intend to target.A big perch is the most splendid looking of all our coarse fish IMHO.They can quickly vanish so lets catch them while we can.

fishy pete

Reaction score
excellent article Ian,lovely to see big perch are dominating headlines/anglers thoughts again,they are the most enigmatic of fishes........
how long do you think they will remain in the current numbers for though?
perhaps more of us should get out there and sample the truly magnificent sport these predators have to offer,before there numbers are reduced by disease again......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about all those small fish scattering though the surface while I've been barbel fishing on the upper Trent last year. I know what I'll be taking with me next year for the daylight hours.

R

I caught two good perch last year whilst fishing for livebaits.

Both from the Old Course of the Nene and both over 2 lbs. Next time I'm down there I must spend a bit more time after these perch.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

The biggest small fish in the world :O)

Perch, you have got to love em!

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Well done Ian!

My next article in Coarse Fisherman is about perch from the same river system.

We are well blessed with big perch in the North Midlands, maybe not of the size they run to in the Ouse but had you seen the one that grabbed a 7oz chub I was playing on the stick float two summers back you might change your mind.

Archie can also share a similar tale with you of a Trent perch that snatched an 8oz perch he was about to lift from the water.

Don't abandon the barbel rods (if they're 1.5 to 1.75 TC as opposed to the carp rods some use) they're ideal for fishing small livebaits.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Thats a very nice article, it makes a nice change to read about perch for a change because they are really spectacular fish, beautifully coloured.

Two and a half pounds is my biggest perch and that was from the Trent funnily enough. There are some big perch in Milestone fisheries at Fairford in Glos. and guess what, they are in the carp lake so they are rarely bothered, they're just waiting for the right man to come along.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you remember an angling writer by the name of Alan Southern. He invariably used 6oz to 8oz roach to catch big perch, and he caught lots of perch over 2lb, many well over 3lb, on them. And I was witness to some, but couldn't fish the water myself as I wasn't a member at the time.

R

Aye Graham,

I am old and doddery enough to remember dear old Alan. I think I met him in the 60s. Probably at a meeting of tne NASG somewhere. He was also a great friend of Eric Hodson.

Most of the big perch I ever caught came to small livebaits fished for pike too. It's surprising how big a fish a decent perch will swallow.

My biggest perch other than one, came from Langold lake near Worksop when I was in my teens.

My Grandad ate a few of those perch too.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Ian, nice article, shame about the hat though ;-)"

Agreed Ian, a very nice article, but pay no attention to this other outrageous remark of Mr Jacobs. The hat is very nice indeed, I have one very much like it. It's just the way you wear it.

"A hat's not a hat 'til tilted....!" Have a little style.

J

jason fisher

marvelous article there chap, the only thing i'd disagree with is the use of the magott rod by the side, i'd rather ledger a worm on the bottom, the reason being i don't want the swim disturbed by loads of bits. plus if you dont disturb the bits and make them wary by catching them then they might just get the big ones into a feeding frenzy.

B

BLAM

Smashing article. Smashing fish. The reason many many people got hooked on angling and when they get big one of the most cunning blighters out there.

How nice. A thread about fishing!

P

paul williams 2

Nice one Ian......something different and from a water not on "the circuit"....perch (and real anglers!) can do that!.....as Blam so aptly says "a thread about fishing" nice!

I

Ian Firkins

Thanks for all the positive comments...and those about the hat!

David Edwards

Reaction score
This article took me back to my youth - livebaiting with gudgeon or minnows on the lower Thames at Staines or Runnymede.
I had perch up to 2lb 14oz but the amazing thing was that you could follow a 1lb plus fish with one that was barely bigger than the livebait!!
Haven't fished seriously for perch for probably 35 years but now I'm likely to have to take early retirement I'll have to give it a go!Anyone know whether there are decent perch inthe Welsh rivers ie Wye, Usk,Taff ?