Accept the fine - it's cheaper!

W

Wolfman Woody

I can see just what this guy's thinking was.

"If I appeal against a mere ?50 fine, the EA will drop it and I'll get off scott free."

W R O N G !

colsmiff

Reaction score
The question has to be asked though: why only a ?50 fine in the first place? If more punitive penalties were in place surely more license-dodgers would put their hand in the pocket.
Obviously enforcement by bailiffs is a big issue, however if we employed some Keynesian economics, then the increased fines would pay for more bailiffs, leading to a greater enforcement of the law resulting in either more fines or more license revenue.
A little simplistic maybe, and I don't want to turn this thread away from the initial subject, but they did it with speed cameras...

E

EC

Agreed.

Set consequences for set actions!

No license = ?1000 fine, no appeals, f**k off and next time buy a license!

Abusive or threatening to a bailiff = ?3000!

Lets see how many people would chance their arm then for the sake of 25 rips.

W

Wolfman Woody

John Sutton, who is Fisheries and Biodiversity Manager for Thames Region and who supplied this particular press release, told me on Monday night that they have effectively 1? bailiffs that must check 13,000 licences over the year. He has an advertisement coming out soon for another bailiff.

With so many to check you can understand why they target the more popular venues, but don't be surprised when they turn up somewhere else. Do you want to take the chance? Besides which, If your club plays it right with the EA you get full value for money, I think.

B

BLAM

Is it the case that they do more for rivers (which I BTW fish more and so am a net beneficiary) than for still waters yet they spend 90% of their licence checking effort on still waters? This was the view put forward to me by a local "commercial" owner.

Tom Herbert

Reaction score
How many on this forum have a current license? i bet there are quite a few who dont.
Did you know there are approx 4 million anglers in the country yet the EA struggle to sell 1 million license's!!!!
Maybe all these great clubs should ask for a license before they allow you to buy a season ticket!!!!

E

EC

I think they go to commercials as this is where the most anglers are!

The bailiffs possibly have targets which mean they have to check a certain number of licences, as such its much easier to find 100 anglers on a commercial stillwater than a river!

Although my last 'pull' came on the River Dane on a Sunday afternoon in January, thankfully I had my trainees on and done a runner before he could get to me!

B

Bob Watson

I find setting a few trip wires around my peg gives me a good headstart Eddie.

E

EC

Wise words from a not so old sage!

Watch and learn all you young 'uns!

C

Chris Bishop

John Sutton, who is Fisheries and Biodiversity Manager for Thames Region and who supplied this particular press release...

I presume (I assume he's not a journalist...) that he's aware of all the different rules which govern reporting the courts and journalistic privilege.

I'm sure he's got a contemporaneous note of what was said and a copy of the court list.

Hang on, there's a mistake in the story, ie he or whoever's put it out has the name of the village wrong.

It should be Somerford Keynes, not Somerfield.

No big dramas, you might think, but more and more organisations are doing this these days.

Say he got the name of the bloke wrong.

Say he called him Patrick Wiles and there was a Patrick Wiles who hadn't been found guilty of fishing without a rod licence, which is a criminal offence.

He'd clean up in libel damages and who would he sue, the EA..? Nope, they're not liable, the media who publish these things are.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I like those commercials where you can park your van right behind you, the tackle goes in, in a flash and you're gone.
But you've got to be aware at all times, even when playing a fish, the crafty buggers sneak up on you! And don't forget to put the fake plates on the van or they've got you.

C

Chris Bishop

One of my mates got pulled over a couple of weeks back and the guy was in an unmarked van.

He'd checked 80-odd guys fishing and caught 14 sans licence.

I can't see the point of looking over your shoulder for the sake of 50p a week but there you go.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You would be surprised at how you can walk onto a water, and pick the ones out who don't have a licence.
Like Chris says, they are literally looking over their shoulders.

C

Chris Bishop

I think the whole system's shot personally but there you go. I do have a rod licence though.

W

Wolfman Woody

Chris, John supplied me with the press release as he knows I will pass it on to Graham for a hopeful publication. john did not originate the story, but if you would liek to check out the facts then contact the EA Press Office on : 0118 953 5555

To answer Tom Herbert's point, I doubt that there is 4 million 'active' anglers now, but it would not surprise me if as many as 20% of those that do actively participate did not have a licence. That could mean as many as 250,000 extra licences, or roughly ?4-5 millions pounds extra per year.

Yes, the commercials are easier targets, the figures support that since this is where the dodgers perhaps feel safest. I doubt that most of the revenue is spent on rivers, but the commercial people running it for profit will NOT get the benefit. It's small clubs with lakes or stretches of river that will gain.

Martin Girdwood

Reaction score
Being involved in a government enforcement agency i would suggest the best method of waking up those who have not bothered/ will not buy a licence would be for the EA to use and publicise the use of the seizure of assets uder the Proceeds of Crime Act (I'm thinking mainly tackle, cars etc) and hit them where it hurts most, they deserve nothing less.