March Brown Rods

B

Blank Day Bob

I'm in the market for a decent 7 pc travel rod and have seen the March Brown Hidden Water range on ebay.
I've looked at their web site and as you would expect it sounds great.
I have struggled however to find a reliable user review of this rod and wondered if anyone on this forum has any knowledge of them.
While I'm on the case of travel rods, the Orvis Frequent Flyer is the same figures in dollars in USA as it is in pounds in this country ie. ?170.00 UK, $170.00 US, LESS 30% discount at the moment. Talk about rip off Britain!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The reason for this is simple Bob.

We do not have the massive market for fly rods that they have in the USA. Because of this, the local distributors do not have the buying power with the Far East companies that make most of these rods.

One particular local ditributor in the States might sell 5,000 of those rods a year. A typical UK retailer might only sell 50, if that.

There are some 44 million licenced anglers in the USA. This does not take account of the many millions fishing in the sea or areas which do not need licences. Many people under a certain age also do not need licences. I remember reading somewhere that there are over 70 million people in the USA that regularly go fishing. That's more than the population of the UK alone.

Angling is by far the most popular pastime in the USA!

Not only that we have much higher transport charges, import duties, VAT, etc etc than they have in the USA.

Remember that the UK has the highest cost per distance covered for transporting goods and people in the world. The cost of post, motoring and rail fares will tell you that.

B

Blank Day Bob

What you say makes perfect sense Ron, staggering statistics though, there can't be any fish left!
I guess the answer is to buy by mail order from US and pay the shipping and tax, it'll still be a significant saving.
Incidentally I took your advise on an earlier thread and am pleased to say caught fish. Thanks again.
Does this fishing bug ever go away? It seems to have taken over what few brain cells I'm left with. I'm fishing every Saturday & Sunday and seem to have accumulated more flies than there are in Africa.
Had a 3 1/2 lb Brownie Sunday nice fish, best yet.
Regards

S

Shrek

Very soft through action though, or at least the 6/7 weight I tried was.

Didn't suit me.

R

Bob (no more blank day it seems),

Congratulations on your catches and success. At my time of life I get more satisfaction from helping other people to catch fish than from catching myself.

And that is no lie.

If you are not doing it already, you should start dressing your own flies. Even more fun is to come when you catch fish on your own patterns.

Fly fishing can get a hold of you. It has me for nearly 50 years and I never tire of it.

Oh and get rid of the "Blank Day" title. You are well beyond that I can assure you.

R

And another point here.

Angling is recognised throughout the USA as one of the most important, if not, THE most important sports in that country.

From George Bush himself, down to virtually all the congress men, they all fish. Some of America's greatest leaders have been fanatical anglers, from George Washington down.

Angling in the USA is covered regularly by TV and radio. The huge BASS tournaments get the same media exposure that golf tournaments get, if not more! Wherever I have been in the USA I have seen vehicle stickers and even flags in back gardens proclaiming: "Take a youngster fishing!"

You tell me of one person in the British government, including the Tory Party that fishes?

When it comes to the promotion of angling and all it means, the USA is years ahead of this country.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Come along to the fly fish-in at Press Manor in May. You'll be made welcome and may even be able to blank with a few more of us!

But seriously, you'll enjoy a good day out and Ron will be able to teach you a trick or two. He's an excellent fly angler and fly tyer.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron I hope. His flies may not be the neatest, but you can genuinely say:

"You'll catch on that!"

R

I might approach the Fly Dressers Guild. It would be nice to get a real expert dresser to give us a demo.

Like Andy Wright (RHS) was.

My flies are fine for catching fish but they will win no competitions. I've never professed to be that good.

R

I've just thought of an idea Graham.

Why not get a few of us who tie to demonstrate a dressing. each in turn?

R

I've heard of Martin Salter of course, but he is not in the cabinet.

R

I apologise too for giving the wrong impression.

I do hope Martin Salter crosses the floor when the Tories get in at the next election. What he is doing for angling is above petty party politics.

S

Shrek

I've seen one of these rods and been able to have a waggle in the shop with it, not quite the same as casting with it, but as good as it get's at the moment.

The rod available was the 9ft #10 7 piece version. Overall build quality is good however one thing that I noticed instantly was this. They have put white does on each section to enable you to line up the rings without looking down the length of the rod. Once assembled though, the first stripping ring was out of line with all the others, even though the dots were lined up.

The handle didn't suit me, or the other two guys that were around at the time. Reason being it was very bulbous in the middle section, making it uncomfortable to hold in the shop, let alone when casting it.

Giving the rod a waggle very surprisingly pulled at my bicep muscles, something that I have never known happen with a rod before. This may have been down to it being a #10 and therefore a heavy rod, however when I tried the same thing with a Sage RPLXi, I could only feel my forearm muscle being worked, not the bicep.

Flexing the rod showed no blank spots at all, something which is an achievement on a 7 piece rod, the the curve was nice and progressive.

Personally, I wouldn't like to fish with one based on the rod I had a play with today, but then again, lighter rods might be completely different.

Hope this helps.

B

Blank Day Bob

Thanks for your comments Adrian, much appreciated.

I think I'll stick out for one of the known quality travel rods, Greys, Orvis, Hardy Smuggler etc. I'll probably have to wait a fair time for one at the sort of money I am prepared to pay though!

I am going to Thailand in February and hoped to hide a rod in my luggage !

Has anyone any experience of fly fishing in this area?