Blockend Feeder - Big Roach Stillwater Rig

raf1870

Reaction score
Hi

I normally use a free running blockend feeder but am off to a large stillwater shortly and thought about giving the middle rig a go.

Looking at the attached picture would this rig work in a similar fashion to a bolt rig?

Any advice or thoughts appreciated on the setup of this feeder which can also be found at this link: Total Fishing

feedersdiagram.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have been trying the middle one lately and it's simple to set up.
Large float stop on the mainline then a swivel then another float stop and tie your feeder on the end. I found some ready to use heli rigs which are mounted on wire. They have a piece of tubing over the swivel which keeps the hooklink away from your mainline . I found I still got tangles even with the tubing so I made a loop of 8lb line and attached that to the swivel and through the tubing and loop to looped my hooklink to that which made the boom even longer . You can also move the swivel and stops up or down the line, near the feeder or away from the feeder. Tangles occur if you wind the rig in too fast.

can't see the need for the rig ring as in the pic?

Last edited:

cormorant

Reaction score
its a heli rig use it all the time some of the finer( 2lb) lines can still twist and tangle a bit though but 4lb and up hooklengths are fine

raf1870

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I guess I could rig it up the following way as well onto the main line?

Drennan Grippa Stop / Bead / Swivel / Bead / Grippa Stop

I was thinking of using a size 10 swivel to tie on my hook length to. Would this be adequate or should I go for something a little smaller or bigger?

What about the use of braid for hook length with possibly a little bit of silicone to help with anti-tangle properties?

I will be using a feeder rod with a quiver tip so would I be correct in saying that once your line is cast out, wind down until there is a bend in the rod tip and then only strike once the tip takes a good knock?

Sorry for all the questions but just getting back into fishing after a long lay off an needing to brush up on my knowledge again.

Cheers

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Can't see why you shouldn't use braid hooklink but I think you will get some horrible tangles as it so droopy.
This rig is usually used for roach/rudd, bream fishing at range where I would use the lightest hooklink I could get away with. 2lb to 3 lb 4 inch hooklink to a size 20 micro barbed maggot hook does for me.
I cast out and put the rod in a rest and tighten up on the line till I get a very slight bend in my quivertip, this is essentially a bolt rig so most fish will hook themselves I don't strike I just ignore the bumps and twitches and wait for the tip to go right round or drop back.