Pike landing net frames

K

Keith Orange

A few weeks ago I bought a special hook resistant net to fit a 36" triangular landing net frame (2 fibreglass arms, spreader block and a cord)

Yesterday the fibreglass frame broke, but I can't find a retailer that will sell just a frame, minus the handle and the net.

Does anybody know a website or mail order tackle dealer that sells frames only ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

You can't beat a big round one - about 36" in diameter. See Harris Angling.

Tri-angular nets are a complete waste of space.

J

jon helyer

I agree, a 30in round or oval frame, fitted with the Dave Lumb mesh will be all you ever need....

R

Another way is the get an old lightweight racing cycle wheel rim.

Nets made from these have landed many 30 pounders over the years.

L

levelspiker

there are 30 inch diameter round profile nets(similar to the leeda prdator net), designed for sea fishing,fitted with knotlesh mesh and extending handle,available for around 20 or 25 quid.they are supplied by svendsen sports or shakespeare.
they look spot on size wise and tough enough for piking.
i used to use a 42 inch triangular net.in 1999,i treated myself to a leeda pred round net.it is so easy to use,these days i have trouble using a triangular one, and always use my net,rather than a mates triangular,to net his fish.

R

The concept of the silly triangular net with the piffly draw string across the front went out amongst thinking anglers 20 years ago.

Barrie Rickards, quite correctly, has pointed out the flaws in such nets and yet still they are manufactured in vast quantities. Even **** Walker who designed the first of these types of nets wrote at length about their drawbacks in later years.

These days I do not possess a trianglar net. I consigned the last of them to the skip last year after I lost a good pike in the fens when the damn thing collapsed on me.

You cannot beat a good solid round net with a sturdy rim for landing even the biggest of fish. All it requires now is for some enterprising manufacturer to make one available in a large size that folds up.

K

Keith Orange

Thanks for the advice.

I've never considered round nets because they're not collapsible and they take up a lof of space in the car. I might have to try one if all else fails.

C

Chris Bishop

"The concept of the silly triangular net with the piffly draw string across the front went out amongst thinking anglers 20 years ago...."

Maybe I'm not a thinking angler then.

I prefer a triangular net for bait fishing. From the bank, it's hard to net a fish in shallow margins with a round net as you can't always get right under it.

I've tried the round nets with "lure mesh" and found other problems, even when boat fishing.

If I need to net a fish off the boat bait fishing, I find I can pull the net in to the boat, unclip the trace and the fish will usually sit quietly.

I can unhook most over the side, again they're only lifted out if I fancy weighing or photographing them, which is rare.

Fish are easy to net in a round net from the boat, but because they haven't usually got the "spread", ie a small diameter, the fish is scooped up and it falls into the net, with the mesh engulfing it as you lift it out.

This often means the fish thrashes about like f@ck and has to be lifted into the boat to be unhooked.

Two sides to everything, especially if you mostly bank or bait fish.

If you lure fish most of the time you need the right mesh if there's any chance of getting a bigger fish, unless you tend to use lures with just one or two hooks where you can chin most in safely and net the odd bigger one without too much drama.

If you want just the bits, Northwestern used to sell arms, draw cords, blocks etc separately.

K

Keith Orange

Chris, thanks for the alternative viewpoint.

I fish northern spate rivers with steep overgrown banks, so I want something with a long handle. The Harris Huntsman net, and all the other big salmon size nets, have handles that are too dinky for me. And if you get the circular or oval frame and net, I get the feeling its hard to get the net off and replace it with the Dave Lumb type mesh.

I'll try Northwestern as you suggest.

C

Chris Bishop

I had a Huntsman and ditched it after a season, it wasn't really big enough, the hunge was a fairly flimsy bolt which kept coming loose and the frame had a habit of spinning on the handle if fish really kicked off, as they seem to do more in narrow, deep nets.

Paul B

Reaction score
Daves of middlewich has spares for various nets DAVES
website not stunning but they are a helpful lot!

K

Keith Orange

Paul B, thank you for the name of the retailer, I managed to find a suitable net without driving to Middlewich.

S

sash

I don't like round 'lure' nets either. I had a flirtation with one a couple of years ago and soon ditched it in preference to a triangular net. I found it too small (a decent pike almost had to be folded into it), too shallow (it was dangerous to allow the fish a breather in case it escaped) and as for being treble friendly......

Plus it was responsible for the loss of a big zander so it was relegated to winter chub/barbel duty.

L

levelspiker

would that be the so called fox "predator" net sash?
in my opinion,the fox net is far too small,as sash says,more suitable for barbel and chub.
i`ve had pike to 26lbs plus in my leeda round net,loads of room and a deep treble resistant mesh (lure mesh from dave lumb)

S

sash

Certainly was. Guess you've heard / experienced similar reports then?! Must admit that my opinions of it above were kept rather mild compared to my actual thoughts...!

Never had a problem with the current triangular net I have so that's where I'll be staying.

M

mark williams 4

Same subject, but is there anyone making a monofil landing net? I'm thoroughly hacked off with removing (or not) hooks from the mesh of nets.

I know some with a looser weave are better than others, but I've lost pike when the 'loose' treble has snagged on the net rim and the fish has thrashed about.

The thing about the 'kindness' of monofil nets to fish changed some years back, I seem to remember, after some EA research. They were saying that, due to the fact that it doesn't mop off the slime, monofil was just as good if not better.

After all, what we think of as 'kind' isn't the same for a fish. I'm thinking of rainbow trout whizzed down a hard plastic chute into ressies, for example. We don't carry them over wrapped in a duvet, do we?

C

Chris Bishop

I used to use a round net for boat fishing. Get the fish up to the boat, if it's big enough to need net or the hooks look messy, lift head, net underneath it and lift.

As the mesh goes around it, they invariably kicked off, twist up the net, net around *sticky out bit at end of scissors* (can't remember name...).

I'm struck by the difference using a big triangular net off the boat. I mainly bait fish, so as fish goes in, I unclip the trace and put the rod out of the way.

Most fish just sit quiet by this point. easy to kneel down, lean over the side and *pop*.

Whenever I've used or fished with people with round nets, the fish invariably got swung over the side into the boat, going ballistic.

Maybe the answer's a smaller lure-proof mesh which won't split their fins or catch on *sticky out scissors bit* on a sturdier triangular frame.

I suppose it's one of those what you're used to/confident with things, having the right tools to hand - trace blades, pliers, bolt croppers - helps speed things up and get the fish back quick as well.

K

Keith Orange

Chris, the sticky out bit at the end of a pikes jaw is the maxilla.