A 13' rod with some backbone....?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
This is more an exercise to see whats available at present..

Length-13' if possible

Line strength-8/10lb bs mono/fixed spool reel

Fish size-well into double figures up to a max of 20lbs-generally 12/14lbs

Water-plenty of pads and overhanging trees etc so power needed in the middle section to hold fish and the length to apply pressure.........I have 12' rods and they work okay but the extra length might offer that little bit more help.(I accept power may be the price you pay for ther extra length..........)

Price-within reason I would be happy to pay for the right animal

................perhaps I'm looking for something that doesn't exist but I'd welcome any comments/recommendations

Thanks!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I would guess you're looking at some sort of barbel rod TC. Wychwood [Equalizer] & Shimano [Purist Power Barbel] both do 13 footers around 2-2.5lb tc though I'm not personally familiar with either and they will obviously be designed for big rivers. They sound like far too much of a beast for a gentleman angler like me.

Google 13 ft Barbel rod & they should appear. The Drennan Power Barbel at 2lb tc is 12 ft but I suspect is a good un.

Last edited:

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Had a look at a rod today that a friends just bought and for what you want it could be a cracker.

Its a Greys Prodigy stalker. Its 4 piece and can be used at either 9ft or 12ft. Not sure of the TC but it seems around 1.5Ib(???) I can see it being a very versatile rod, you could use it for floater fishing, freelining, method feeders, spinning, floatfishing in the margins with a pin for big carp, lots of options. Very convienient due to its compact nature, it can be stashed in the boot for a quick improptu session, or folded in two and kept on a quiver ready rigged.

Very impressed with this rod, think i may have to "borrow" it this summer off my mate :D

chav professor

Reaction score
I bet you have an avon type rod already, hey, TeeCee?

I'd take the Missus out for the money you save buying a new rod - she may let you go more often (I got this theme from another thread)....

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
The trouble is that most rods capable of stopping fish of that size in their tracks tend to bend more or less through to the butt by neccesity, and because of this the extra length is wasted as you don't gain any better control.
Its a dilemma that you will struggle to find an answer to.

for what its worth I'd buy an second hand/cheap rod that you don't mind abusing and I'd specifically choose one that has a progressive action. I don't know how experienced you are so I'm sorry if I am teaching grandma how to such eggs but it might surprise you that it is difficult to exert loads of pressure with a rod of this type (you won't be strong enough one handed). The answer is to push a hand above the handle to act as a pivot point when you hook a fish. This isn't going to be good for the rod (the reason I suggested an old/cheap model) but it enables you to combine the length/control you desire with the ability to drag them away from snags.

If you can't find a suitable second hand rod send me a message and I'll make a recommendation based on what you want to pay.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have the Free Spirit 1lb 2oz TC 13 ft Float rod. It's the mutts nuts. I've had double figure Carp and some large Sea trout on it. They also do a heavier float rod and that must be a bit of a beast. For some the down side may be that it's a two piece. For me that's an advantage as it usually goes made up into the same holdall as my carp rods.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The Free Spirit float rods are very nice indeed.I have a 12 ft Hi-S Power Float and its delightful....not enough nuts for what you are after though TC....more a tench rod.

Shimano Brench ? That's 12ft-6in and sounds fairly pokey.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Proper float rods with real beef are few and far between. A rod built on the Harrison GTi SU blank might be worth a look.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the suggestions..

I will have a look at the Shimano/Wychwood rods,S-Kippy-if I can find them in my neck of the woods!...and the Free Spirit range also looks interesting,particularly the heavier float rod but I'm wondering if this would have the necessary power?Two piece I don't mind,in fact I prefer them..

Tim Ridge..yes,I have done what you suggest with the hand above the handle and it does work well,but as you say not necessarily good for the rod as you're making it do something it was not designed to do.I only revert to this tactic as a last resort to stop a fish making lillies but it doesn't always work....................
I may well have to give up on the 13' and perhaps go for 2,25 tc and a 12' length because what I DON'T want is 13' of floppy rod-or a poker for that matter...

Like all matters of this this nature it is still a risk when buying a rod outside the norm as you never really know how it will act under battle conditions so perhaps 2nd hand might be the way to go..

Thanks again to all who responded!

Nathan Watson 2

Reaction score
An old Normark Avenger or 12ft 6 Specemin match would be ideal. If you prefer new then a Daiwa Power or Extra Power version would be ok.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Good hunting TC.....I still think some sort of barbel rod is about as close as you're going to get.They wont be great float rods [though you never actually said you were float fishing] but they ought to have the requisite power and ought not to be pokers. I've found so called "barbel" rods are incredibly versatile and yet still feel like "proper" rods.

Be interested to know what you decide on...if you find owt that suits.

robbster

Reaction score
If you don't want to spend a fortune, take a look at the Ron Thompson Specimen Pro Match 13' 2.5lb rod. This has enough beef for your requirements, and you can pick one up,second-hand (and new!), for peanuts. Admittedly, the name doesn,t have the same kudos as the major players, but if it does the job, does it matter?

little oik

Reaction score
Hi there am a newbie to the site (but not fishing I hasten to add)
I have used a Korum Neotoric Float rod 12 ft for the past 4 years ,the line rating is up to 10lb .I have caught carp on it up to 14 lb so far and it wasnt troubled .They are out of production now but if you look on fleabay (around the 50 quid mark) you might come across one .The only 2 things that I dont like about the rod is that a) it has single leg rings(understand the use on match rods ) b)and also the spigot needs attention now and again with a bit of graphite powder to stop the top section slipping out of line .
http://www.kidderminster-camera-club.co.uk/Gallery/Eric Love/pl_images/dawn fishing.jpg
Found this its not second hand so costs a bit more

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Again,thanks to everyone for the terrific response!I have a lot of good info to wade through,and to be honest it will take some time to decide what to do.....

I do like the idea of a 2nd hand rod regardless of cost but this comes down to luck on ebay so new may be the way to go.As S-Kippy says,a barbel rod 12 'long with 2/2,25 tc looks a good option,would be off the shelf and be a dedicated rod designed for a specific task.Perhaps 13' is a step too far?

To be honest I don't really like buying a rod without seeing it so,as I've said,I will need to give it all a great deal of thought...............

Paul B...the Shimano rod you suggested;it looks as though this is designed to carry out many different tasks which bothers me somewhat-also I'm not too sure about the extension piece either and if this would affect the rod action...is this a rod you have used ??

Some good stuff available and I hope this thread has helped others!!

Last edited:

Paul B

Reaction score
Sorry Tee-Cee, I haven't tried one. came across it while on shimano website looking at the purist range. I do have the grey 9/12 ft stalker suggested earlier. Would say probably around 2-2.5lb tc, used mine for pike spinning, floaters for carp and barbel work. Nice rod.

Last edited: