Spods

catman

Reaction score
Can anyone give me directions and as many tips to spodding as possible. Never tried it and want to give it a go. Just bought a Fox Stubby spod. What sort of a mix will need to go in it?

B

Big Rik

I think you'll need to change your attitude to spods and why you've got one.

You've asked a question after you've bought a spod, whereas a spod is the answer to another question.

"The carp in my lake go wild for hemp but are very cautious in the margins, how do I feed hemp at range?"

Answer: Use a spod......

F

Frothey

"What sort of a mix will need to go in it?"

"The carp in my lake go wild for hemp"

hemp?

W

Wolfman Woody

I could see that Rik. Dave's dopey. :eek:)

Whatever loose feed takes your, or really the fishes, fancy. Pellets, hempseed, bird seeds (properly boiled of course), crumbed boilies, loosely mixed groundbaits, dog food, et al....

You should, by rights, put out a marker float on another rod and aim your casts at that to concentrate your offerings. Once you get distance right, clip the line of the spool on the rod you're using to spod with or wrap a band around the spool.

CAT

Reaction score
Alcopopped up, what sort of bloke drinks that gay juice.
Whats up Beer to strong for you, lol

W

William Spencer

fox stubby spod is ideal for fine particles,pellets and maggots as it is small and has no holes in it.can be cast on a carp rod of 2&3/4 tc rods and above.

Jonathan Lungley

Reaction score
Fit the insert with no holes in the spod and go somewhere quiet, fill the spod with lake water and practise casting to a marker.

When you hit the mark put your line in the line clip to prevent overcast, then either bash away at a marker float or pick a salient feature on the far bank like a bush, tree, pylon ect, and keep aiming at it.

After a while you will get a feel for things and away you go.

As far as a mix, you could try hemp, 4mm trout pellet, maze, or a wet mix. i.e. get a bag of your boilie mix add a little hemp then scald a few pellets to make a dough, stick in a can of Amoy coconut milk and some of your bait dip then mix the whole lot together with lake water to make it like a soup, then when you spod it out it will leave a cloud of attraction on the bottom but not a lot to eat. And that?s where your hook bait comes in.

Lots of people have lots of ideas what works, this is what I do and it works for me.
When you have been doing it for a while I am sure you will come up with a few ideas of your own.

Good Luck.

catman

Reaction score
Should you:
A) fill the spod 3/4 full and fill up with water to the top.
B) do the same but add dry groundbait to the top of the spod.
C) neither of the above.

O

Ozz

Before you start spodding make sure the bucket of spod mix is infront of you, ontop of another bucket, as you start to get into the swing you'll find you develop a rhythm. if your spod mix is too low or behind you, your rhythm breaks after each cast, and you'll tend to loose accuracy.