Icons of England

davestocker

Reaction score
Are FM forumers aware that the Government?s Department of Culture Media & Sport is spending ?a million pounds? of taxpayers money (so I?ve read in the press) on an online vote to find the Icons of England? And guess what?s been sitting regularly in first and second positions? Foxhunting! This may in no small part be due to the fact that at last years Labour Party conference, the MP behind this initiative, David Lammy (Tottenham, London) suggested that Countryside Alliance people ?all looked the same? (ie. as a result of inbreeding). This was deeply ironic because Mr.Lammy is black, and wasn?t that what people used to say about ?people of colour? in pre-political correctness days?

Oddly enough, despite the fact that it?s been for some time the number 1 or number 2 icon, foxhunting hasn?t always been easy to find on the site, but anyone who felt aggrieved by the hunting ban can get there and vote by clicking on this;

http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations?sortcriterion=yesPercent&order=reverse

and should you wish to nominate, or vote for something else ? the flag of St George is currently number 3, Foxhunting, number 2 and Big Ben number 1 - click here http://www.icons.org.uk/

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Dave, there was an article in the paper the other day saying that 'the foxhunting lobby' was hi-jacking this particular online vote.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I can't believe that Foxhunting is an Icon that is that high up in the votes!!!!! Where are the figures coming from????????????

davestocker

Reaction score
Why call it hijacking, Merv? Just because the hunters are well-organised and have good e-mail networks shouldn't count against them. Eveyone can vote about what matters to them. What gets me going is the alleged million quid of public money spent trying to show that New Labour is patriotic in the face of a resurgent Conservative Party. You could call me a cynic..................

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Agreed Dave, perhap's 'swamping' this particular site with votes sounds better.

Personally I would'nt class foxhunting as an 'Icon of England'.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Dave,

When you add up the millions and millions of pounds that this government has poured down the drain funding all sorts of "committees" looking into all sorts of bizarre issues many of which reached absolutely no conclusions what so ever, this latest million pales in significance!!

Even so Dave, I take your valid point.

As for the CA, the foxhunters, and the field sporting community in general, they are extremely well organised and are staunchly united 100%.

I live in the Vale of Belvoir which is slap bang in the heart of hunting shooting fishing land. The CA has a big following around these parts and can raise money at the drop of a hat.

Icons of England? MacDonald?s? Post Office? W.H.Smiths? What about Road Works and Contra-Flow? Trains that either don't run, or can't run because there's a few leaves on the lines? The London Eye? (Biggest waste of money until its time to let a few fireworks off) Mad Cows Disease? Mad English Politicians? Barking Mad Whitehall Civil Servants? Or plain old down to earth English heritage and the "Royal" family?

Foxhunting? Surely that doesn't count seeing as its been banned? Then again, does the general public either realise or give a fig anyway? Apparently not if they are voting it their No 2 Icon of England. Doesn't say much for the rest though does it Dave?

Regards,

Lee.