fedder magic

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
i read inthe angling times about fedder magic by richard wilby,he puts some sponge in his fedder that provided a flavour kick,he uses robin red, chilli oil,hookbait enchancement,this is his five ways to make sponge fedders effective

1.cut your sponge section slighty larger than the fedder you are using ,so that it fills all the space when stuffed in the fedder.

2. Squeeze the sponge dry in between each cast to allow it to swell back up with your liquid attractor.

3. Try to match the colour of your sponge and the feeder to the substrate that you are fishing on.

4. Re-cast on a regular basis to ensure you always have a good flavour trail leading to your hookbait.any one ever tryed it

5. Alway test your rig in the edge to check that it sinks easily and lays flat along the bottom.

any one ever tryed it

N

NottmDon

Few pike anglers and barbel anglers have used similar ideas for quite a long time Tony. Manys the time during a match when a pike will grab a moving feeder regardless of whats been in it. John Baker,the well known barbel baits guru thinks that in the near future neat flavours may be used to induce/tempt fish to bite rather than lots of free offerings. I think he could be right.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
John Piper wrote about similar tactics with foam in Angler's Mail in the late sixties, I think, (he also experimented with it on the float, trotting) and an eel addict - probably the late John Sidley - used the absorbent part of tampons to hold flavourings in the feeder; can't really put a date to it, but probably 1980-ish.
Canal matchmen have also written about putting chopped worm in feeders with tiny holes - so only the flavour can escape - for those rock-hard winter days when a ruffe can bring team glory. So the idea is probably up quite a few sleeves!

N

NottmDon

I have read about the 'tampon' method Alan and as for the worms on canals they used to place chopped worms in the foot of a pair of tights( removing the wifes legs 1st I might add) and cast them out so only flavours would leek out. Only thing was they had to keep a line attached as the tights were not biodegradable. You know someone could do a whole new thread on the weird and wonderful ideas that anglers have come up with over the years,it would make interesting reading.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
And you'd probably find most of them in Izaak Walton. And they'd have been old then!
Bees in a jar, to attract by sound, movement and novelty... that one hasn't been worked up for a while!

fred hall

Reaction score
I take it you mean feeder not fedder, Tony.
Isn't a fedder an FBI agent?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Anyhow, back on thread, some silences are deafening, Tony, and this one could well signify an "Edge" that those in the know would rather stayed on the secret list. If I manage to get out on a river, I'll force myself to give it a go. Especially if the fish are feeding - no point in trying a new trick out on a crap day.
How was yer man matching the foam colour to the substrate? Pantone pens? Pre-painted feeders? A range of coloured foams? (Coming soon - foam inserts in silt brown, gravel, and realtree ranunculus...?3.25 for a pack of 3 in one colour only ... aargh!!)
Just a thought - bearing in mind the ease with which fish find bread in pea-soup, salt might be worth a try. (There's lots of it in most bread!).

Robbie H

Reaction score
I had actually got this method set up on my carp rods after reading about it in a pike book, thinking 'yes lets take the lake apart'. Then two days later its in bl*&dy AT!
Alan, salt is a good additive to any bait, especially when boiling seeds etc.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This principle has been used for some time, as already pointed out. One of our favourite tricks on rock hard canals in mid winter was to cup neat flavour into the swim as an attractant of course and it certainly worked remarkable well. No feed was involved other than the hookbait and many a match was won using this method around the B'ham area.