Rumours, Hmmmmmm.

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I am already hearing rumours of big tench and bream, and what is more, they are being confirmed.
Tench to 11 pound, now there?s something worth thinking about, especially in the North.
Both the bream and tench have been coming out in dribs and drabs throughout the winter. This could mean that this spring and summer could be a good year for them.

These stories I have been hearing certainly get me going, there are rumours, and then there are rumours. But this latest one has more than an element of truth in it. This season was a bit of a non starter for me, but I have this feeling that this coming season is going to be different.

If nothing else, they fill us with renewed hope every year. Does anybody else act on rumours, and have you ever cashed in on them?
I?m certain this is going to be my year.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
baz,my self and yoggy did it today mate on a stretch of the nene.... i caught a personel best chub of 4lbs 12oz (i`m as happy as a pig in shit) and yoggy caught one of 5lbs 2oz.both of us landed smaller chub and had plenty of bites all day.
with the places i have visited this autumn and winter so far and the things i have been shown and taken in,i`m sure that the next river season will be a cracker!!!

N

NottmDon

Been some clonking bream and chub from the Trent in Notts Baz.Ive had chub to 6lb and many others in the 3 and 4lb bracket,unheard of a few yeras ago! Had a 10lb4oz bream and was told by someone I know and trust that he had a chub of 7lb13oz. Apparently the chub are putting on weight eating HNV baits and halibut pellets which should come as no surprise. I noticed early season that there were thousands of small fry in the margins which hopefully will bode well for the future. We need lots of fry just to get a decent head of junior fish to sustain the stocks. Fingers crossed.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Quality fish Don, who said there was a North South divide?
In three years time that chub might be knocking on the door! But saying that, there is probably one or two there already?

N

NottmDon

Steve I agree theres probably one or more there swimming around as we speak! I have said that the Trent Barbel record will go in the very near future as well and I am certain it will be a fish that will surprise a lot of people. The best thing about the Trent this season is its giving up nice catches of perch,roach and silver fish as well as specimens. So few anglers seem to fish the river though and it often goes in starts and bursts with miles of bankside deserted or every barbel peg taken.

C

Chub King

Great fishing guys. Let's hope next season is better than the last, especially for tench and bream.
However, I wouldn't your breath where the rivers are concerned - if it doesn't rain a lot more before summer then you could struggle to find any water to cast into!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's looking very grim Greg, I'm surprised we aren't hearing more about the lack of rain on the news.

C

Chub King

I think they're just waiting and hoping a deluge comes Steve. Let's hope it does otherwise it's stillwater species for the whole of next summer.

E

EC

Rumours are ace, and are the very fabric of our sport

Think back to when when you were younger, and you hear, rumours of...... great stuff!

I reckon we should have a 'Rumours' forum!

E

EC

PS I heard a rumour yesterday about some big tench around here Baz, the fella told me they go 12 tho mate ;-)

J

jason fisher

if it hadn't have been for the rumours of the massive pike in langold lake that used to eat anything and everything from ducklings to the odd bather, my imagination wouldn't have been half as fired up as it was in the early years.

C

Chris Bishop

There was an 11lbs tench on one of the rivers down here a couple of weeks back in a cold snap. They catch them on the Cut-Off and some of the other drains all winter on and off, in fact I'm surprised it's only the match boys who fish for them..

N

NottmDon

Had a session on the Trent last night Chub King (brrrrrr) and the water levels were below the summer levels this past season.They say familiarity breeds contempt and so it does,I hadnt really looked at the levels from that point of view until you mentioned it! doh!

C

Chris Bishop

River I regularly fish has lost about a foot, which is fairly dramatic in the Fens where everything's flow-controlled and levels are managed.