A Question

D

Dave Burr

A question for all of you that have noticed the increase in the weight of our whiskered friends.

This gain in the maximum potential weight has been largely attributed to the baits that are used today, baits such as pellets and boilies.

So why are we not catching half pound gudgeon? Surely they are the barbel's closest cousin and they certainly eat a fair proportion of the bait that we introduce.

Discuss..................

(If this point has been raised before then I apologise and trust that you will all let me know with as much vigour and bile as possible).

fishy pete

Reaction score
good point raised Dave a few of my views as follows,
on small rivers like the ouse above bedford, low stocking densities and high protein baits could be the contributing factor?
on large rivers like trent , where once chub used to rule the river in times when water was well coloured through industrial pollution ect,barbel seam now to be the dominant species,prefering the clearer weedier water and again anglers baits have played a part, barbel anglers must make up 90% of all anglers who now fish this mighty river,as i am sure is the same on most major rivers containing barbel?
these are just a couple of my own views,perhaps some folks out there may have other ideas?

marshall mathers

Reaction score
not 90% theres a few predator fishermen out there too. my family are regulars on the trent at nottingham, their all predator hunters.

B

BLAM

Its genetic. Some creatures have the capacity to put on huge amounts of weight when food supplies increase and some don't.

Totally off-topic but the issue of health is never brought up when weight gain is discussed. If this were a discussion about human weight gain it would be a "bad thing". With fish (particularly carp) we see it as a "good thing".

T

Tony Rocca

Maybe gudgeon are getting bigger, anyone checked?

Who ever weighs them? I might start though, some clonkers on the river Idle.

fishy pete

Reaction score
wots with mask and superimposed carp marshall? are you famous and wishing to remain anonimous? or are you just plain ugly?

lol!

J

jason fisher

gudgeon probably don't put the weight on because they cant get the boilies in their mouth.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Jas,they have a bloody good try,caught a 3 inch one with a boily on the Teme last year-it was bigger than him and the hook was fair and square in the top lip-all of it!

D

Dave Burr

Fair point Jason but plenty of anglers are using crushed or mini pellets and boilie crumb nowadays, I just figure that if its down to food alone then we'd see an increase in the average size.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Dave, I think Gudgeon are more suited to less 'clean' water than we have nowadays.

Gudgeon used to be rife through my local river and canal system, including some whackers. In fact I would say they were the dominant species.

As the river and canal has become cleaner the Gudgeon have taken a backseat and are way down the pecking order.

That's a shame because I do like Gudgeon bashing!

fred hall

Reaction score
I find Ribble gudgeon fascinating fish. Some years you catch stacks of them, and they have always been a good size as gudgeon go, but then they disappear for several seasons on the trot - haven't caught one for 15 months. Perhaps they're noshing out on high protein baits!

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

i have seen Mather's photo before followed by him beheading the carp cos Blare would not pay up!

next fish beheading is a barbel so the bs need to delve into there money pots and be ready cos Mather may strike at any time.

J.B

Reaction score
Out of interest what is the Gudgeon record anyone know and Fred you are right they seem to go missing for ages and then you catch stacks for a while then none again.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
about 22lb JB,although they go by their nickname of .........BARBEL lol

Regards Matt

J.B

Reaction score
And I thought they where big in my local canal maybe I was wrong lol. Mind you matt a gudgeon of 22lb would be a great looking fish though lol

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Maybe the Barbel eat more gudgeon than we suspect I know that chub do.

I think gudgeon have a shorter lifespan and therefore do not have the time to maximise their size on HNV bait as barbel are doing.

D

Dave Burr

Surely life span and growth is relative. Fish are adept at reaching the maximum size for their environment which is why goldfish stay small in a bowl but will grow large in a pond or lake.

Given it's full life span and plenty of food a fish will reach its maximum size (as long as water quality etc are right), if you 'over feed' the same fish some will grow to exceptional size.

Gudgeon are eating our baits and some of those fish must be reaching their alloted life span, therefore, if the bait is making barbel grow the same should be happening to the gudgeon and of course the minnows (the Wye is stuffed with them).

I don't have the answers to this, just the questions.

But I may form the G.S.

Tia and Max can share the Presidency.

Should we oppose still water gudgeon?