Canoeing and Fishing

Andrew Greensmith 2

Reaction score
Brillient. I've been paddling and fishing for about 15 years and love both sports. I have always hated the way that each group considers the views of the other group.

As you've said, there's only around 2% of rivers that canoeists can lawfully use and much of this is only usable in winter. Whilst paddling many of the rivers in North Wales and the lakes i've never seen a single angler in the winter, yet there are countless debates and arguments over access to those rivers, i've always thought that there must be a few people like myself that can see both sides clearly as we have to deal with both situations.

Surely if both parties fully understood the situation then they could sort something out.

fishy pete

Reaction score
nice article Mike exactly the point i was trying to get across,but as you rightly stated ''idiot minoritys''on both sides make it hard for ''normal'' fishermen/paddlers to get along .a little bit of respect is all that is needed.(from both sides might i add)

p.s. not be long till they start hijacking this thread to mate!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,
An interesting starting point that both factions should take to heart.

Access issues apart, I would like to see far greater mutual respect between both anglers and paddlers.

Alan Shelley

Reaction score
I completely agree. I'm a kayak instructor and a keen river fisherman, I've always maintained that angler & kayak should share the waterways.
Politeness costs nothing and can make a day for both.

P

Paul Root

I don't see what the issue is. My local river on the Essex/Suffolk border, the River Stour, I see Canoeists on a regular basis, and they always say a big "hello".

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
On the big lakes I fish there is a lot canoeist and training done on the waters, but the tutors and the individuals always make a detour to avoid me and always pass the time of day, in fact I got one lad to row a ledgered dead bait out for me and drop it on a spot where I new there was a good feature 20 mins later a lovely 18lb fish was lying on the mat.

Matty C

Reaction score
I completely agree that paddlers and anglers should have a little more respect for eachother,.. however, from my own personal experiances with paddlers, on my river, I have found them to be extremelly rude and extremelly arrogant. I accept that I cant label them all with these qualities, but I will label 90% of the ones on my river with them. the ones that say thank you when you go out of your way to reel in a pike float or stop trotting or dip your rod in the water, I have no problem with.. its the ones that dont give a rats that I cant stand..
there are a good few that will paddling nice n slowly all the way up the river, then about 15 feet before they get to your swim, they will start going at full pelt, then about 20 yards later, theyll stop again n slow right down, then when you try to talk to them about it, they just carry on paddling n dont stop to even talk..

The point I would be willing to put forward to the paddling club, is that 90% of the best fishing on my river is on the town stretch, about a 3 mile stretch from the paddlers club house.. if they paddled downstream 3 miles, they would find nothing but peace. not a single angler, nothing..

I am thinking about writing a letter of some description to them soon, so something can be fixed before the new season starts.. Tis impossible to fish on the weekends in the summer, what with all the paddlers and boats..

C

Cakey

Where I pike and perch fish at Broxbourne mills is a rowing club ,saturdays and sundays are the bollocks with boat loads of women and their coxs rowing up and down !

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
I have heard they have been some problems on the Ribble and the Wyre, but like I say I have had no problems up in the Lake District where I spend mosy of my time.

Mike Redding

Reaction score
Matty C,

It sounds like a little more understanding might be useful on the canoeists behalf in your situation. If you are writing to the club and want to include the 'canoeing and angling' article then feel free to drop me a PM and I can send on the original version of the article.

Mike.

Matty C

Reaction score
I will be most greatful if a bit of moral support from a fellow paddler such as yourself, if the need be.. However, instead of coming out all guns blazing to start with, Ill probably try the more subtle approach, with a nice gentle letter explaining my views, and seeing what can be done.. if nothing happens, Ill try going one step further.

Thanks for the thought though Mike.. might take you up on it yet.. if the club's head guys are as rude and arrogant as some of the members, I wouldnt be suprised if things get hairy.

Andrew Greensmith 2

Reaction score
Hi Matty,

Which river and where do you refer to? Do you know the canoe club. I ask because if its a slalom club then i will prbably know the chairman and could have a word to see why they have to paddle upstream.

Andy

Matty C

Reaction score
I fish the river wey in Guildford.. no idea what the name of the club is though.. I can find out though.. its not too far away from where I live..

cheers for the help dude..

Matt