cleaning your gear

Reaction score
What would be the best way to clean my gear. Such things as stink bag, holdalls, carryalls, nets etc. Washing up liquid contains detergent so would this not harm fish if any residue left on items. I want to eliminate the smell. My good lady complains the garage smells whenever she goes in to get car out etc. (Not good chaps). Any ideas.

The Hood

Reaction score
Get one of those posh air spraying scent thingies off of the telly, or just wash it all in soapy water. Nets are better if you lay them out on the lawn so the wind and rain can sort them out, just watch the kids or cats.

Otherwise build mans best friend, the tackle shed. I have one neither kids, wives or cats are allowed in.The sacred temple of piscatorial regalia should be a mans realm only.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Dont take your umbrella next time you go fishing and just hope it rains,sit there until all items are thoroughly sodden,when home place nets on radiators around the house for a bit of air drying......

that way your house will smell as bad as the garage so when said missus goes out to garage she won't tell the difference.

hehe

Matt

N

NottmDon

Rinse the worst of the crud off and then use the wifes washing machine with a non bio powder,make sure she uses a pre-rinse and a long- spin cycle. When thats done put it in again on a rinse and long spin only. There will be a minimum of detergents on said nets,bags etc after this certainly a lot less than gets pumped into the Trent day in day out from the sewgae treatment plants.If youre really looking for echo warrior status then you could soak the gear afterwards in cold water and change it three or four times over a period of 12 hours before hanging it out to dry in the sun (when we get any) the sun will kill any bacteria that may have survived the washing process. Failing that get a new wife with permanent nasal congestion :)

W

Wolfman Woody

A sort of serious answer -

Nets - bleach them. If you have nothing big enough to fit them in try a dustbin liner without breathing holes (most don't have them). Place net/s inside along with mixture of bleach and warm water, about 3 - 4 pints should be enough. Hold the end adn shake it all about then lay down flat so that water can't escape. It shouldn't turn your nets white, but if it does, tell everyone they're the new Ghost nets.

Same with inside of stink bags, bleach them.

Just make sure you give everything a good rinsing off afterwards.

Beecy

Reaction score
whenever I get back from fishing I just chuck my nets on the back lawn, and there they stay until the next time I go!

net bags & carryall etc, i hang on the washing line and give them a quick blast with the hosepipe.

Tom Herbert

Reaction score
when it gets dirty or smelly simply throw it away and buy a new one!!!!!!
or give it to your skint mate to wind him up

B

BLAM

Disinfectant makes nets like new but you have to make very very sure it is all rinsed out with water afterwards. Leave the net in a bowl of water and add a few cap fuls of disinfectant and leave it to soak overnight. Washing up liquid and/or copious amounts of water on its own does very little but this will bring the landing or keep net back to more or less its original condition.

Lately I've found that if I catch less I don't have to clean my nets much and I'm thinking this is the way forward for me!

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Explain to your other half that "garage" is latin for "fishing tackle storage area" and keep the car on the street.

Failing that spilling a bottle of monster crab and half a gallon of maggots should do the trick.

coelacanth

Reaction score
If you want use a bleaching agent that will not have any residual toxicity or smell, use one of the "Oxy-whatever" products that are advertised for stain removal. These use Hydrogen Peroxide as the active agent, which breaks down to just oxygen and water. I get it from Home Bargains at 89p for a tub that costs ?3.99 in supermarkets, but you can find it in whatever pov-shop happens to be local. A quick soak, a rinse and then leave it to dry.

Reaction score
Thanks for the messages guys. From the feedback I guess I had better get rid of the misses. Only joking dear. The suggestions are very helpfull thanks once again guys.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

I always thought that fishing tackle was self cleaning. Mind you, I have begun to notice that it?s been around 45 years now and nothing's started to happen yet.

I've got me one of those wife thingies and she never complains about my fishing gear. Mind you I reckon she?s a crafty mare and would guess that any complaints would see her tool allowance cut back hard.

What is it that drives women to lay concrete and dig gardens?

"See ya tomorrow then love, just off for a nights fishing. I would try the pick on that trench if I were you sweetness, gets right under those boulders if you swing it back hard enough".

Regards,

Lee.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

My misses has just pointed out that she has to put up with my (never cleaned) fishing suits in the conservatory and my rods and tackle bags in the porch. I have of course explained to her that just one garage isn't enough.