Cormorants

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I was shocked to wake up this morning at a well known big roach water to find at least 20 cormorants thrashing about.
As soon as I moved they all flew off and didn't seem to have done any damage ( This morning at least ) I must have looked a right one running around the lake clapping my hands everytime a few more tried to land.
The birds were obviously wary of humans but during the cold weather few anglers are on the banks.
It set me thinking. Are 2, 3 and even 4 pound roach safe from the black death ?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Nothings safe. I watched a Grebe simialr size to the Black Death take a Rainbow of about 3Ib. It took it 2 hours to swallow.

You must be a northerner Michael. Night fishing in this weather. Hope you caught a couple of stunners.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Linch Hill Ian.
I blanked Bryan. I was going to fish till 9pm tonight but the cold seems to have made the fishing a bit tough.
I'm a northerner but last night was a tad chilly ! To be honest I thought the weather forecast was for 3 degs not -3.
I just wanted a shotgun when i saw them.

I

Ian Cloke

There are several Russion machine guns that would do a quicker job Mike;o)

fred hall

Reaction score
I'm not sure that we need to worry how big cormorant grub goes. We need to worry what it is. The buggers seem to reappearing in increasing numbers again (endangered species, my backside). If you or anyone you know has the opportunity to get one of these shooting licences grab it asap.

P

paul williams 2

20 cormorants on the syndicate lake????that is bloody frightening!!

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
There was only 1 carp angler other than me there and as if by magic they ( Black death ) all turn up.
Midweek when i've been there, there are normally a few more anglers about which must keep the cormorants away.
When I turned up there was a 2lb ish tench dead in the margins. Next morning when i'd scared the things off I tried to find it to check out if it had stab marks on it, but it had vanished.
It seems like the big roach could be going the same way.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
They spear much bigger fish than they can eat which can result in the death of that fish through disease even if vital organs aren't affected, but apparently they will take 2lb fish readily.

If they were there that day you can rest assured they've been there before and will be there again. I don't know what the policy is at Linear fishery because its mostly big carp so they won't be affected by the black death, maybe they don't bother about them.

Saturday Angler

Reaction score
Michael.
I have been fishing the same water this year & last. There have been some good fish caught, but it does seem very slow. A friend fished there a few years back & said that they used to get quite a number of roach in a day as standard. Though not as big on average.
Not sure what impact the cormorants have had, but they are not vegetarians so they must be hanging around for more than a good swim.
The RSPB should stop being so blinkered about protecting them. They must do harm to other species once they have emptied a river, what then does the Kingfisher eat once there are no fry?
Until then, or until someone in this useless government is willing to stick their neck out, it must be very difficult to do much as a fishery manager.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
When I fished the Stour last September an angler reckons he saw a cormorant take a five pound chub. A short phone call to the bailiff and he put the poor bird out of it's misery...!

So bailiffs are good for something!
Don't tell Baz I said that.

;-]

T

The Piker

I have seen first hand the damage these birds do..

I have seen them take big chub and dace.

I watched one do battle with a big eel,which it finally swallowed...

The biggest rudd i have caught was damaged by them and i think would have died..

They often take fish too big for them and damage the fish so bad it dies.

I have a licence to shoot cormorants and it is nice to get back at them and control them a bit...I love birds but find it hard to find a place in my heart for these...

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I was told that there used to be a lot more small roach in the lake Simon.
The smallest I have seen caught this season was 1lb 14oz and the largest 3lb 5oz. It can be a little slow, but you don't mind when the average fish is 2lb 8oz+.
The RSPB should stop being blinkered because it won't be long before the grebe and heron start to become endangered. You watch them change their tune when it happens.
Piker I love birds too, but these birds belong at sea. I would have no hesitation blasting them from the sky and telling Danny boy he can make some more of his speciality.
Graham I don't think the Linch Hill pits are the same as the Linear ones. I know if I was running the place I would be buying a shotgun now because the roach syndicate must pay about ?4000 for 5 months fishing. Thats a lot of pennies the cormorants will be munching !

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Steve does your bailiff want to do a bit of roach fishing ? It seems even these giant roach aren't safe from the black death.

njb51

Reaction score
im thinking of getting a license to shoot comorants, (do you even need one?!?!). How do i go about getting one?

B

Big Swordsy :O)

They don't have to eat them just slash and stab.

.22 air rifle will do the job upto 40 meters not that I would know or recomend that you put one in your bag but if you were to have one and you were to aim into the wing area as it was swimming I am sure it would lose its appetite.

Silencers are also very cheap and no-one would be any wiser.

I have one that is sitting by my pooter gathering dust as it happens.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Heyup Lee.
Blow the dust off that rifle and come roach fishing with me.
The things were scared to death of me, but they were crafty too, trying to land around the back of an island i was facing.
I was knackered after 2 laps of the lake scaring them off.
The only other angler on the lake was a carper who didn't set foot outside his bivvy while i was there.
It just shows that if you give them an opportunity and they will be on the fish straight away.
I'm sick of the blighters. They ruined the roach fishing in the Trent. They ruined my favourite upper Idle swim and now they are trying to ruin one of the best big roach fisheries in the country.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jonny,

Of course you need a license to shoot Cormorants, all you have to do is:

Firstly, you have to be the owner of the land where the river/lake is situated, or at least have the owner's permission.

Then all you have to do is:

If you wish to apply for a licence for cormorants you will need to complete Form WCA 10 for all other fish-eating birds complete Form WCA 1 and post it to the Wildlife Administration Unit at Bristol. In urgent cases, applications may be accepted by facsimile, but the original must be received before a licence can be issued. There are guidance notes (cormorants Form WCA 10a herons, goosanders and mergansers (Form WCA 1A) which explain the application procedures.

Form WCA-10 reuqires evidence of full details of all damage to fish due to cormorants, all measures that you have taken i.e. non-lethal or anti-predation etc.
then you will get a visit from a very nice man form the 'department' and you will have to prove all you have put on the form, oh yes, and prove that you are a proficient shot as well.

Then, and only then MIGHT you get a license.

And the best of British luck my firend if you try ;-)