Fish Stealing

New Kid

Reaction score
Just read in Anglers Mail Bailiffs can't cope with the fish stealing that's going on.This is on waters controlled by the Ely Beet SSC. Is this widespread?

W

William Spencer

yep.
my favourite pole lake has a cracking head of tench,roach and bream,that vary in size from a couple of ounces up to several pounds the farmer charges a fiver a day and i know of several anglers who have taken fish for their own ponds.
in fact my fishing mate took 6 tench one session i was absent for his pond.they all weighed just under a pound,three male,three female,you can't buy them that price and size for a fiver each.not that he should have stolen them.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There we go , and people want to give fish locations out on this forum.

T

Terry D

These idiots have no idea what diseases and parasites they may be transferring to other waters. No excuses for plain solid stupidity and ignorance.

L

levelspiker

i heard allegations that the owners of a commercial fishery in somerset have been poaching the huntspill and stealing bream and carp.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
We're having a lot of problems on the river Wandle with immigrants from Eatern Europe. They kill literally everything they catch. Even the most in edible of fish like chub. If you approach them and try to point out the error of their ways they get angry and violent. The EA never patrol the river. The local EA office told us as much over the phone.

I was watching Matt hayes Lake Escapes the other day. In Poland there are only 6 lakes that are catch and release. The others are literally devoid of fish due to this attitude.

C

Chris Bishop

Who was quoted in the story out of interest..?

It's a serious problem in the Fens at the moment, hence a lot of pikers are now in silent running mode and I suspect people who fish for other species will follow suit once they realise the extent of it.