Paedocypris

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

It won't be long I suppose before some idiot wants to start a Paedocypris fishery in England.

And along will come the Paedo Society and the Paedo Police.

coelacanth

Reaction score
If you go to Britain's Aquatic Superstore in Bolton you can see a very similar species called Danionella translucida, these get up to about 12mm so are not quite as small, but still pretty cool. Probably an example of what is termed a paedomorphic (basically, infant-form) species.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Picture on the BBC News web site. The Paedocypris Specimen Society are looking of claims of 7 millimetres or longer!! Paedo by the way is 'young' I think; rather than 'love'.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Paedocypris means roughly Child-carp or Infant-carp. The news story is a bit dodgy in various points, there are well-known communities of fish living in those peat swamp habitats they refer to, many of them tiny species.

fishy pete

Reaction score
found it Mathew, looks like a minature wells without the wiskers! thanks.

B

BLAM

This is the kind of story that usually appears on April 1st methinks.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Amazing diversity we have on this poisoned plannet of ours

There is a similar species that lives amongst damp leaf litter in the Amazon rain forest.

I love this type of stuff!

F

Frothey

still need 3 1/2lb tc rods if you wanna go after them though.....

coelacanth

Reaction score
The leaf litter dweller in Amazonia is a Catfish called Phreatobius. There's another Catfish from India called Horaglanis that's virtually identical, and yet another one from the same Asian peat swamps as Paedocypris, all from completely different families but put side by side you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart without microscopic examination. Great examples of parallel evolution, several thousand miles apart.

Reaction score
Talking of catfish....there's a species in S.America (more than one, perhaps) that has long, 'locking', pointed pectoral fins. When you swing one in, they lock these fins at right angles to their bodies rendering them difficult to hold and unhook (the spikes really are dangerous)
I caught a couple of these in the outer-reaches of the Orinoco Delta a couple of years back and later warned my brother who was due to fish in Peru.
Sure enough, he found himself on the Amazon a few months later and did, in fact, hook one of these little blighters...as he went to grip it, out shot the spines, one of which went straight through the web of skin between thumb and forefinger. Now, these spines are barbed so the only way of getting rid of it is to cut the spine off - only then can you mop up the blood and scream freely.This is what bruv did, vowing never to make the same mistake.................continued further down....

Reaction score
......The following year saw him fishing in South America again and, again, he hooked and swung in one of these lethal 8 inch catfish, spines-a-flaring. Mindful of the previous years experience, he gripped the hookshank with pliers and 'shook' the fish off.....(I promise you this is true)
The catfish fell spike-first onto my brother's mocassin, went straight through the leather pinning his shoe firmly to his foot by way of that lovely barb! What a predicament!

coelacanth

Reaction score
The Catfish with the locking spines are called Doradids, or Talking Catfish (when you remove them from the water they croak at you, in Guyana they're called "Reckyrecky" because that's what they sound like). There are lot of species, in the Orinoco delta they're likely Lithodoras, Pterodoras are more common elswhere. Even at 3" they can make you scream, they have a pore at the base of the pectoral fin that chucks out a white toxin into the wound.
Pete (the distributor of useless information)