First ever Janauary barbel

dhigg001

Reaction score
Finally cracked it completely by accident.
Last Friday instead of being in France for the Rugby I had a complete break from work and went fishing at last.
My intended swim was out of the question although it was a lovely sunny day a bitter cold was blowing right in my face. I finally settled in the well known Garden swim at Shardlow just above Cavendish bridge, it was one of the few places I could get down the bank out of the wind.
I went for a two rod set up, one with pellet and the other with the good old lobworm. Never had a rap on the pellet but the worm produced 3 chub up to four pounds, four perch two around half a pound one about 12oz and a beauty of just over 2. At 2.15pm I latched into a bigger fish and finally slipped the net under a nice winter barbel of 6-4. Pleased as punch as I didn't really expect a barbel from that swim.
N.B. I wouldn't normall name specific pegs but as this one is that well known and the water is strictly members only I can't see as it really matters.

njb51

Reaction score
Good work Paul, good to hear someone is catching!

again,

not me though,

blanked again,

bluddi fish,

git

:)

J.B

Reaction score
Yes nice one paul I had my first january barbel this year to a fish of 6lb but I'aint had any perch what tactics where you using was it a ledger or feeder and what size.

dhigg001

Reaction score
J.B. Feeder with the pellet and a small bomb on the worm rod.
It was still bloody cold though, the sun was shining and a cold wind trouble with that swim is the sun doesn't get on it. Water was uo slightly as the concrete platform was under 3/4 inches of water it's normally a foot above. Had to sit with my feet in the water in a shaded area.
It was nice to get out though as my last trip was New years day.

B

Bully

Fishing - whats that? I seem to spend my Saturdays and Sundays on a cold touchline watching my son play rugby!!

Nice one Paul - what river??

dhigg001

Reaction score
Bully,
Shardlow is on the Trent. I'm normally working and should have been in Clermont Ferrand last weekend. Fancied a break from Rugby though and went out fishing instead.

B

Bully

Watching or playing. My mate was referee for one of the European matches last week and that rings a bell??

N

NottmDon

Nice one Paul, dont think that "members only" and "private Water" will protect you from the Barbel circus. After dark they creep along the river banks like vampires clutching a 3lb test carp rod in one hand,a well thumber copy of the "Anglers Mail" in the other hand and a printed copy of the "Barbel Forum" from the FM site in their other hand.....you see they even have three bloody arms what chance do us law abiding barbel anglers have I ask you? :)

Sounds like you had a cracking day and a nice mixed bag of fish Paul,the unexpected Barbel are sometimes the most welcome and also provide those moments when the heart leaps into the mouth when one realises that a fish with "attitude" is trying to pull you into the river!

J.B

Reaction score
Cheers Paul and good luck on your next trip.

fishy pete

Reaction score
well done paul, nice to hear of a barbel bieng caught on a traditional bait not pellet or ''secret recipe boillie''!!

had quite a few on lobs myself,must be one of the most underated fishing baits about!and not just for barbel either,any fish that swims will eat one!

dhigg001

Reaction score
Tony two canes,
Weraing that suit would be a damn sight warmer than a normal suit collar and tie. Saturday was bloody freezing.

dhigg001

Reaction score
Pleased to say Tony's right Bully. I've been working for them for 9 years now.
It's a great job but it limits the fishing time.
I took one of our players Ollie Smith to a private lake last August and he had had the biggest fish of the day.
He's set on catching his first ever barbel next season so IT'S tRENT HERE WE COME.

B

Bully

Sorry - never saw that. Great team!! However I follow our local side, Westcombe Park, which is where I know Roy Maybank from. I think he has ref'd the Tigers a number of times.