Float Tubing

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have decided to get a float tube, mainly because it is allowed on Thrybergh Ressie and also I did lots of it in SA years ago.

Float tubes have come on leaps and bounds from the days they were called "Belly Boats"

It's a marvellous way of getting into areas of still waters you can't reach from the shore.

And it's so comfortable.

Except when you want to have a leak.

How many of you has done it?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Always fancied it. You can use lighter tackle as you can get to the places you could not cast to. One of the waters i am a member of allows it also.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I've always fancied it. To be honest a float tube is so cheap these days. U can pick up a cracker for ?150. However as yet its not that important to me as I prefer to river fish.

I'd like to see more places renting them out though. You'd think they'd make their money back in hire fees on a ?150 float tube in a few weeks never mind a season!

I may get one at some point but to be honest its not a priority.

However, pick up any U.S fly fishing magazine and you'll see adverts for no end of fishing craft, from float tubes to rafts type crafts and boats etc. Its big business over there. As I've said before, having your own fishing craft and personalising it to fit your own kit is a great pleasure. I'd like to see it catch on in this country.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Tried it once in N. California around Sacramento. Lure fished a lake and found it great fun (whole group of us). Best thing was the ability to get close to features inaccessible from the bank.

Couldn't really get used to the low angle (so near to the water) when playing a fish, not that I caught much! One fish took me round in circles several times.

Often wondered how it would go here in the UK, there's some waters I fish that I'm sure it would be an advantage.

L

Luke Hodson 2

Try out the BFTA site for advice and waters that allow it.
I have been doing it for years and have through the BFTA fished Rutland, Pitsford and more on a one off.
Great fun, once the bug bites you can't stop.
Try Sparton tackle for the best tubes and V boats

R

I'm getting all the stuff I need from Steve Parton Luke. He is the best in the business when it comes to tubing.

Years ago Adrian, I didn't fancy it either. But the first time I tried it I was hooked.

Make no mistake, you can approach fish much closer with a tube. They don't seem to be spooked at all. I've hooked trout and bass under my legs and the fun starts when you play them.

One of the biggest carp I ever caught I hooked whilst trout fishing from a tube. The darned carp, a fish of 15kg towed me around for over a hour.

The only down side to a tube is relieving yourself. I've seen guys who have taken out a six pack of beer and then after a couple of hours, the performance to get to the bank has been a laugh a minute.

One guy I once knew had a permanent catheter fitted to a bottle so he could wee-wee whilst in his tube.

L

Luke Hodson 2

You wont go wrong with the sparton stuff, go for the vboat if you can.
Pack it in a sports holdall and blow it up by mouth in a minute or two.
If you roll down the neoprenes you can take a leak too!

R

Luke,

Steve is a good friend of mine. I spoke to him today. I will take a trip down to Notties shortly to have a good look at what I need.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Ron, it sounds great.Would you beleive they do it on Christchurch Harbour for the sea trout at night where we mullet fished that time.

You,ve cheered me up no end.The image of you being towed around in a tube by a carp is priceless!

R

It actually wasn't funny at the time Nigel.

I had to pull it up a gently shelving shore where it enventually beached itself and was dragged unceremoniously out by the gills by a farm worker. At the time, I thought: "What the BCSG members would think of me now?"

NT

Reaction score
I saw some chaps this year having a go at Elinor and I'd really like to try it out. Anyone else up for this?

Neil.

CAT

Reaction score
Been tubing twice, its not all its cracked up to be, but give it a go its a funny feeling when you hook a fish.

L

Luke Hodson 2

If you want to give it a go Ravensthorpe will rent you the kit for ?10. Well worth a go and not much more than a boat.