hello to all members!

thamestrotter

Reaction score
as a thames angler for 50 years or so I'll be keen to read of any other members thoughts about the river these days and any recent catches and so on by those old fashioned buggers like me who fish for roach,chub etc usually on the float and running line. tight lines to all whatever you fish for.

thamestrotter

Reaction score
hello mark, I fish the river above and below oxford,mostly below.I find for the fishing I prefer ( roach on the float ) it's good till about november,especially september and october.after that it seems that many areas are devoid of fish at least in daylight hours.the winter match results ( such as they are)seem to back this up,big fish only,mainly chub with no back up weights.I try and get as much time in before winter nowadays.If you can find the roach in winter you'll catch them alright but it's finding them that can be a problem.my recent winter 'hotspots' have let me down the last couple of seasons and I'm keen to find some new ones. cheers.

thamestrotter

Reaction score
hello lord paul of sheffield

yes, some of those waterways up north have recovered nicely after years of gross pollution.shame we can't have the industries back though,just without the mess they used to pump into the environment.down south( darn sarf)the rivers escaped industrial fallout generally but have endured much agricultural pollution and abstraction and other ills which have had an impact on the fishing.still,we live in hope of better things to come and there's still a few fish to catch. tight lines as terry thomas used to say.

thamestrotter

Reaction score
hello poshpaul and morespiders, I was also an aca member from 1977 onwards and now an angling trust member,nice if we could get more folks to join up.good luck to you both .

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

During the winter the Pike fishing around Dukes cut seems to get better. I wonder if your Roach (Pike food) start to move into the canal there.
you may be right,Mark,the roach appear to move somewhere in winter nowadays.Wish the buggers would stay put.you could catch 'em in the same areas all season on stretches like medley once upon a time.